I need cataract surgery after vitrectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I need cataract surgery after vitrectomy for a macular hole done two years ago.  But to complicate matters, I also have very bad myopia (-12). I'm concerned about finding an experienced surgeon with high-risk patients like myself.  With these problems, I'm a prime candidate for a retinal detachment.  Does anyone have any recommendations on a skilled surgeon in the Los Angeles area? 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Make sure you get regular non-toric monofocals set for distance (insurance pays for those). Also, do not get monofocals made out of silicone (only get the ones made out of acrylic) because if you have further retina problems silicone IOLs make it hard to do retina surgeries. Probably any cataract surgeon can do the surgery though and would almost definitely know not to give you silicone IOLs.
  • Posted

Also you might want to look into Dr. Uday Devgan. He's in Los Angeles.

• Posted

Surgery Location

Lens & Cataract Surgery Center

9001 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 100

Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Main Location

11600 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 200

Los Angeles, CA 90025

Telephone

800-337-1969

• Posted

Andi77, 

Why non-toric?  Is it because there is a risk of rotation later on, or some other reason?  thanks

• Posted

Has a doctor advised that they could be 'more' likely to rotate due to the previous vitrectomy and/or previous retina problems?  Or do you mean the fact that in future they could just rotate off axis due to the fact that they are torics, no other reason?

Just wondering ... I know someone who has toric lenses implanted with no rotation problems but then again he's had no retina issues.  Julissa

• Posted

They can rotate in anyone's eyes just because they're torics, no other reason. Just do a google search and you'll find the information, but of course most doctors will downplay the risk (and no, no doctor told me that in person). I personally wouldn't get them even if I had healthy eyes, but especially not with retina problems. Kerry, the original poster, can take my advice or not take my advice, it's up to her.

• Posted

And I didn't say it happens every time. I just personally wouldn't get them and was just giving my opinion. It's up to the individual person how much of a risk taker they are with their eyes and eyesight.

• Posted

And you can use google or any other search engine to search for toric iol rotation and read the articles that come up. Probably most articles will downplay the risks, but since I know lots of people with serious complications from various elective eye procedures (and toric iols are elective, not necessary), my risk tolerance is now at zero.
    • Posted

And for all I know, Kerry doesn't even have astigmatism and therefore wouldn't even be a candidate for toric IOLs. I just mentioned it just in case she does and was offered toric IOLs.

• Posted

This is such helpful information!  I did not know about silicone vs acrylic or the toric lenses.  I actually do have astigmatism and my doctor wanted to help fix that.  I will bring up these concerns at my next exam.  I have not yet committed to the cataract surgery.  Thank you so much!
  • Posted

This is such helpful information!  I did not know about silicone vs acrylic or the toric lenses.  I actually do have astigmatism and my doctor wanted to help fix that.  I will bring up these concerns at my next exam.  I have not yet committed to the cataract surgery.  Thank you so much!
    • Posted

You're welcome and absolutely do not do cataract surgery until your vision is so bad that you wouldn't be able to pass a driver's license eye exam. Also, your doctor will probably suggest toric IOLs (unless because of your other eye problems you aren't a candidate) and maybe want to do limbal relaxing incisions on you for the astigmatism to try to avoid your having to wear glasses. There's no guarantee those things will work and they can cause problems. You also might not need glasses that often after cataract surgery without them anyway. In my opinion you shouldn't trust everything your doctor tells you, even if you go to that doctor I recommended. Personally, I wouldn't do anything to my eyes to attempt to avoid wearing glasses after cataract surgery due to the risk of complications.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.