I need guidance...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I have not formally been diagnosed with AS, however a rhuematologist told me several years ago, it was possible. All the biologics did not work for me.  I continue to get worse with pain and stiffness all throughout my body. I have Graves Disease but had the radioative iodine to shut down my thyorid.  I also have been diagnosed with diabetes in the last year, but I believe I was undiagnosed for at least a few years.  My symptoms began with pain down left arm (is worsed with use) when I was 25 years old (now almost 50)and sharp pains in chest and back on first few ribs.  I have swollen and painful joints in my fingers, my knees are affected, my neck and back hurt every minute of the day.  I have body stiffness, especially in my legs and feel like I have 20 lb weights attached. It's hard to begin walking when I've rested or sat for a while.  It's really frightening as it's getting worse.  I do not have the gene for AS, but was told one doesn't have to have that to have AS?  Anybody have these symptoms and have AS?  Any comments or advice is welcomed and appreciated.~ LuLu

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You sound just like me but I have Hashimotos instead of Graves.  I started with my elbows, hands and shoulders when I was 21.  I'm now 56 and I am so much worse all over.  All my flat bones hurt to just touch.  I've had costochondritis where it felt like broken ribs and hurt to breathe.  And yes the hurting and swelling in all the joints along with the stiffness.  I get this stingy bone pain that only steroid works on.  I'm on Enbrel and it works for the pain in my hands and tailbone but it is not helping with pain in my knees and foot/ankle where it feels like they are being squeezed in a vice.  Besides autoimmune with thyroid, I also have autoimmune diabetes and PBC which is autoimmune against biliary ducts in liver.  I too do not the gene for AS.  Life is becoming more difficult to live.

• Posted

I am sooo sorry for both you guys.  I don't know if my suggestion will give you any relief.  A gluten free diet might reduce inflammation caused by some autoimmune diseases.  It may not help with AS but I know it is with my psoriatic arthriis and psoriasis.  Again, so, sorry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.