I need help!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello my name is Robert and my girlfriend has RA. She has been on Methotrexate for 2 years and she recently stopped taking all her meds cold turkey. She is now experiencing severe side effects such as Vomiting, Tarry stool, sores in her mouth, very tired, pain all over her body, brusing. I have tried to contact her RA doctor and waiting for a return phone call. Should I take her to the ER or wait to hear from her doctor? I travel for work so when I came home she has stopped taking her meds already. She is also very depressed

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Does she have a primary care doctor that would get back to her sooner?  Tarry stools indicate blood.  Methotrexate should be stopped gradually frm what I understand.  You might call the ER and get advice from them.
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice. She does not have a primary care doctor. I will try calling the ER.
  • Posted

Hi Robert

I was also going to suggest phoning GP or out of hours medical help so he can ask some questions and advise. I have stopped methotrexate for a couple of weeks before due to an infection and it didn't give this effect. Actually people have to stop if having an operation, so It doesn't sound like stopping mxt would cause this. But you say she came off ' all' meds. If she happened to be taking prednisolone you are not supposed to suddenly stop that.

But sounds like she needs medical advice/ help ASAP.hope you get something sorted.

• Posted

best thing is to contact ER to reduce her symptoms for the time being and give her relief 
  • Posted

She should be seen by a Dr today and take a list of all her meds and the doses she was taking. The bruising and blood in her stools are cause for concern and she needs to know why this is happening as soon as possible. I too have stopped my methotrexate but no symptoms like this. Good luck.
  • Posted

I've stopped taking methotrexate on two occassions under rheumy supervision. No need for gradually reduction...at least not according to my rheumy. I had no after effects just increased RA pain. Can only echo others advice about getting immediate medical advice.

Hope things turn out ok

• Posted

I might have been thinking of another med.  regardless a doctor should be seen or talked to promptly.
  • Posted

Hi Robert6996 I too came off methotrexate. I was more than glad to come off it as it made me really unwell. I certainly didn't have any of the symptoms ur describing. Did your girlfriend take it upon herself to come off all meds? I don't think any rheumatologist would think this a good idea. Please keep us informed on your girlfriends health and I hope she feels better really soon.
    • Posted

Thank you for your info. I will defenitly keep you informed on her health
  • Posted

if you need another oppinion go to your ER they are pretty good
  • Posted

Hi Robert,

What happened to your girlfriend? Did she get an answer?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.