I need help, could it be diabetes?

Posted , 5 users are following.

For a fair while I've had drops, in what I think is my blood sugar, several times a day. I end up feeling extremely dizzy, faint and "distant" and very lethargic, the only way that I feel better it to have a drink such as original lucozade energy or sugary and even then it takes a while. The past few weeks it's gotten dramatically worse, I'm struggling to make it even a few hours without this happening, even through the night I'm having to get a drink or food, sometimes even both before I feel better. Pretty much every day I feel worse. I'm exhausted. Anybody have any suggestions to help me before I get to the doctors? And what I should ask of the doctors (tests etc)? I'm only 19 but I have a myriad of health conditions (coeliac disease, possible stomach paralysis and possible PoTs) and I take various medications. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I also get tachycardic more so than normal during these episodes.
  • Posted

Hi Eden, you might want to get yourself a blood pressure checker and a blood sugar test machine.  Or at least go use one of the free BP machines at the drug store. Really, the easiest way to know if you’re diabetic or not is to have your blood glucose and a1c tested.

Sounds like you may have low Blood Pressure (BP). You also have palpitations, and celiacs. All common on hypothyroid disease. Have you had a full thyroid panel done? You may be hypothyroid.

Also check the symptom lists for both diabetes and hypothyroid. Many symptoms are common to both. 

Celiacs disease is very common in thyroid patients and in fact, diet recommendations for hypothyroid patients include a gluten free diet. Even if your thyroid number should come up within normal ranges, you should consider seeing an endocrinologist because of your many symptoms. Even with thyroid blood tests in normal ranges, you could still be hypothyroid.

• Posted

Get yourself to the doctors they will check you out. It really is better to know one way or the other. You can deal with what you know about, if you don't know about it how are you going to deal with it?

A friend of mine persuaded me to get myself checked out for diabetes 18 months ago and I found I was Type 2. I will always be extremely grateful to her.

Take care and keep in touch

Sasrah

• Posted

You do need more testing to determine the cause.  Information is critical.  You are treating the condition with sugary foods for the quick fix.  This is not the proper method.  You could also have hypoglycemia.  Sugar just gives glucose spikes and stresses out the pancreas.  Add these if possible: lots of fresh organic vegetables, A multi mineral, a multi B vitamin, a mult vitamin, 1 natural E vitamin, a vitamin A 1 per week,  a cinnamon with chromium.    No soda, milk, ice cream,fast food, chips or any salted snacks. Let me know if things improve.   Regards, John
    • Posted

I agree that sugary foods are a way to mask symptoms without solving the real problem. If you want to start with a better diet all the way around, try a Paleo style diet- increase lean meats and vegetables, dump the grains and eat root vegetables instead. Dump anything processed, as well as sugar and gluten products. 

I don’t keep sugar in my house. I have honey on hand and use sparingly. I don’t have anything in the house that contains gluten. 

This sort of diet goes a long way towards maintaining good health, and reduces immune system triggers and inflammation. It helps towards narrowing down symptoms. 

• Posted

I have the same symptoms, my stomach will become upset while I'm sleeping and as much as I try to ignore it I cant and I have to get up to vomit. that's the main way it feels better after 10 minutes or so but, on the way to the bathroom the longer I wait the worse it gets, ive blacked out and hit my head on the doorway on the way to the bathroom, sweaty pale dizzy anxiety horrible stomach feeling etc. ive also tried (stupidly) to go down stairs to try and find something to help, soda a quick help but not good in the long run. so I eat peanut butter or almond butter while its happening and it helps quick. its happened since I was little and never got diagnosed with anything. ive actively been staying away from sugar as best as I can and staying hydrated so it hasn't happened in a couple months but I still don't know why it could keep happening

• Posted

Amber, an inner ear infection could cause this- the dizziness. The nausea.

The other thing that can cause vomiting with consumption of certain fats is toxic liver. But that wouldn’t have dizziness.

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that affects the gut and is triggered by products contains gluten: wheat, rye and barley. Celiac’s disease is difficult to diagnose, as symptoms are often irregular and occur as much as six hours following exposure by consumption. So you eat dinner, you go to bed a few hours later, you sleep a little and wake up with gut wrenching pain, vomiting or sometimes milder IBS symptoms.

You could be dealing with several issues, so it might be worth while to look at your symptoms separately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.