i need help!! does anyone else feel like i do?! HCV~

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello all! i am new to this forum and will try to make this post as brief as possible without leaving out important details. i am a 24 year old female from the united states. i was diagnosed with hepatitis C type 1a when i was nineteen years old. my fiancé and i are ex-addicts, (i actually got HCV from him), but have been clean off of all hard drugs and alcohol for three and a half years. i have had other health problems, including a fibroid, (benign tumor in the uterus), that was the size of a baseball that had to be removed through major surgery about a year and a half ago, and arthritis. i have been sick ever since i contracted HCV, but recently my symptoms have taken a turn for the worse. i FINALLY got to a GI doctor after years of issues, as the healthcare system in california is awful, and he is ordering a colonoscopy to start and gallbladder functioning tests after that. unfortunately, the beginning of the tests is over a month away still. my question is, does anyone have these symptoms, and if so is it related to your HCV or something else? (my OBGYN thinks i have IBS, GI thinks it is something worse. but i know that some of these symptoms also fit HCV symptoms). my symptoms up until a few months ago for the GI aspect of things was acid reflux, (which i have been diagnosed with and take medicine for), moderate to severe nausea, (which i also take medicine for, promethazine, which used to help but now just makes me dead tired and need to fall asleep right then and there), frequent bowel movements, and odd pains when i'm hungry. as of a few months ago, my symptoms escalated. i am now so ill that i call in to work constantly and even miss classes at school. i have severe pain all over my abdomen, and depending on where it is at it feels different. i have burning pains in my lower right belly area, burning and stabbing pains in the gallbladder area, horrible pain and cramping in my stomach, and bowel discomfort. all are very painful. i can only eat healthy foods or liquidy foods, and even those backfire and leave me nauseous and in pain. i also have diarrhea many times a day, and am running to the toilet often. my nausea is not always accompanied by vomiting, but sometimes it is, and last night actually i threw up seven times. also, TMI, but my bowel movements also are wrong in color. they can either be pale, (not as common for me), or orange-ish, (which happens most of the time and is not due to orange or red colored foods). i am incredibly weak, exhausted, constantly in a brain fog. i also suffer from muscle spasms and muscle and joint pain. i'm sure i'm leaving things out because i am suffering from so many symptoms it is ridiculous. on top of it all i recently slumped into a deep depression because i have been sick for so long. first it was just the HCV, then the fibroid and HCV, and now i don't know what to think. cancer runs in my family and my father is a survivor of both prostate and colo-rectal cancer, (he has an ostomy bag). i feel like i am so young to be having all these issues. it really is ruining my quality of life and i'm in a bit of a pickle because i am too sick to work but cannot afford to stop working. i am desperate for answers as the pain is excruciating and i feel like there is no one else out there with these problems. that coupled with the fact that i don't know if this is due to just HCV or something much worse really scares me. also, i am currently being submitted for HCV treatment, but am using medical marijuana as a way to ease my stomach pain, and here in the US you cannot use any form of marijuana and get treatment. but the pain is so bad i feel i need it. (i am clean from everything but the medical marijuana and am not a cigarette smoker anymore either). sorry this was so long winded. thank you in advance to anyone who reads or responds ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Seufzer,

I posted a comment earlier which containd a link to a useful information about Hepatic manifestation but i am afraid it is against the rule of the forum and will get deleted. Here I am posting again.

I am sorry to know your situation. Please treat HCV as soon as possible. Here is what a HepC expert says (in another forum) "When many people think of Hep C they think of "liver disease" but Hep C has impacts across the body. Rates of depression, diabetes, thyroid dysfunction, autoimmune disease and strange neurological stuff are all higher in patients with Hep C. While Hepatocellular cancer is a commonly know risk, other cancers like renal cell (kidney) and lymphoma occur at much higher rates. One of the things that has surprised me is how patients improve on treatment. It's not just the lifting of the brain fog, but little annoyances that most people have put down to getting old.

My second patient on generics came in on week 4 for her blood test and said "This stuff is amazing, for the first time in 20 years I can get up in the night to go to the toilet and my feat don't hurt."

Another patient had all over body tingling, which given there is no known medical condition causing it marks him as "one of those patients" who have something for which medicine has no name and no solution. During treatment he reported the tingling leaving his chest, and then his shoulders, elbows, wrists and finally his fingers. No idea why, but a win is a win...

So while there are no guarantees, and we do all get old and creaky and leaky with time, treating Hep C can often generate really pleasing improvements in quality of life."

If HepC is not treated soon, the liver will be damaged and become cirrhotic.

There is a cure now with high successful rate, please go for it.

Wish you get treatment soon.

• Posted

thank you for the information 😊 i am currently awaiting treatment, as it is a slow process here in california when one is on medi-cal, but i am in the process of being approved by my insurance.

• Posted

Hi Seufzer,

Hope you get approval from your insurance and start treatment soon. Once you are free of HepC, you will feel the difference!

Many many wishes!

• Posted

Hi

I finished treatment for HCV type 1b about 6 mths ago. I had most of your symptoms and sometimes pancreatitis which would put me into AF(heart arrhythmia). The reflux and GI symptoms, pancreatic and liver pain could be excruciating but I had stage 4 cirrhosis and liver cancer as well. I was treated for liver cancer 2 yrs ago this week. All I can tell u is when i started my treatment for HCV on Harvoni my brain fog lifted and I don't get pancreatitis anymore and only occasionally get reflux and indigestion but it is mild compared to before. The orange bowel movements are from the liver and gallbladder not working properly, that should clear up too. Good luck with treatment there us light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

thank you SO much for your response! it is good to know that my symptoms aren't out of the ordinary. also, i am so happy for you that you are completely better now!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.