I need help getting off a lot of prescription drugs

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, i'm new here and wanted to join as I know I need help,

My Doctor is useless, this is a long post but if anyone can advise me I would be greatful.

Basically, I have had a long term back issue, compressed disc, I've had many mri scans, epidurals etc to no help although I managed to lose 8 stone it hasn't really helped my back.

I've been on Tramadol SR (200mg) for around 5 years, Just over three years ago I started taking more and more not even thinking about the issues this could cause as I was obviously addicted to them, I ended up on over 450mg and ended up in hospital, that night I cut the dose in half and had very serious withdrawal issues for weeks after but am now on my standard dose of 200mg every 12 hours and have never abused this drug since (almost two years now)

But.... While I was going through the really bad withdrawal effects I was prescribed Diazepam to help, I am now addicted to them and am currently taking 12mg a day (2mg morning, 2mg afternoon and 8mg evening).

I want to get off them but every time i try to reduce them even a little bit I have side effects which start affecting my work.

During this time though I have got a job and have been there almost two years and am doing really well there working my way up, I can't have anything affecting my job rolleyes

I'm also on the following:

Citalopram 20mg a day (for depression which i'd also like to come off)

Omeprazole 40mg a day (prescribed when ended up in hospital)

To be honest, I don't even know where to start, when i'm at work I really enjoy it and do really well, when i'm at home I feel crap and sluggish not wanting to do much, it takes me ages to feel with it in the mornings and because of this I have a lot of coffee in a day.

Any help to help me sort this mess out would be really really apprenticed.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Also forgot to mention, I get headaches pretty much all the time, I know its related to the above but not sure exactly which,

My Doctor isn't interested, he just dishes these drugs out thinking it will solve everything.....

• Posted

ok, here it goes, so I've been on Suboxone the last 2 1/2 yrs, successfully and I want 2 taper bably. I started on 12mgs and have managed on my own 2 get down to 2 1/2mgs. This is my 2nd time around with the subs and feel like I'm wearing handcuffs or something 2 that effect. I will come off thats no question in my mind, however, I had to fly to Aruba this yr. I go every other yr since 2003-2004. Well, I've had issues with my luggage getting misplaced coming home and going there. The worst was 2yrs ago I got 2 Aruba...no luggage. Mind you I only go 4 a week, I didnt get my luggage 4 days in2 the trip. That yr when I had 2 fly back I had panic attack in the line you get in to give your luggage 2 airline. Fast forward 2 this yr I went and was convinced I needed Klonopin for the trip and got some. It snowballed outta control! My Sub program has had it with me, they excepted it several times when I'd tell them I'm goin 2 taper off on my own. Well that blew up in my face as well. I said 2 myself "I cant do this anymore" On my next appt. I told my doc I cant do this anymore I need help from you to do this which I should've done months ago. He put me on what would b equal to what I was takin in adivan but with Valium. So now atleast I'm doin this under his care with his direction. And we're goin 2 go as slow as I need 2. I guess what I'm tryin 2 say is your problem is a combo of you and your doc. Why haven't you volunteered this info to him? Ask him 2 help you come off doctor directed. You might need 2 switch meds 2 do this. Nothing on a coming off a drug level is suppose 2 be easy. The slower you taper, the smaller amount of the drug, dont cut the dose so much, whats the rush after all these yrs? Time is all we have. So go slow, cut the dose the smallest amount possible until you adjust to that. Give it 3 weeks, no less, then cut dose again. This will work but not if your inpatient 2 begin with. If all else fails...change docs. But I dont know one Doc who's not for getting someone off a drug their abusing and dont want to be on anymore. Look at your last comment. Maybe you need to either start the taper with him or change doc's pronto. He's causing more harm than good. You might not even still need to take these meds but you've been on them so long you cant even tell the difference. I know you want your life back as do I. Be patient, taper as slow as you can and dont cut the dose so much. Go smaller. Trust me and good luck!

• Posted

Another thing, with my abuse of the Benzos I was ok at night, could sleep but thats no good when you have to be up and at work at 6am. So I would then get aderal off a friend just to wake up. It's an endless cycle unless YOU do something about it. I'm not happy with the person I've become due to all this crap. But I'm doing something about it and you should too.

• Posted

FKFK123

Why did they start omeprazole when you went to hospital if you don't mind me asking ?

Tarun (pharmacist)

• Posted

Doctors just seem to dish out drugs rather than do doctor work these days ££££££ it makes me mad!
  • Posted

Best adcive is physically sit down and discuss your issues with a trained addiction worker or therapist.
  • Posted

I totally agree with monique you need to discuss a realistic taper with your doc

do it slowly and in your own time

you should be in control of the taper (under guidance) and have rhe ability to halt or even reverse if it's moving too quick, try and time the end for spring or summer, so there is plenty of daylight, and some warmth with lots of greenery and life around, and clear some time from your diary for the last week or 2 if you can

best if luck with your struggle

• Posted

Hi I was wondering if you have had any luck getting off your perscription drugs.  I myself have struggled with perscription drug dependancy off and on for 5 years now due to chronic pain since my teenage years. Most the time going cold turkey every time because I ran out early for the month and then back to the doctor and the vicious cycle starts again however, I recently started on a regime of an all natural juice first day no meds cold turkey was the normal feeling like crap but it lasted maybe 24 hours instead of 2 weeks months ect... after that I started to feel better everyday and my pain has subsided im more focused and feel revived never felt better if interested in finding out more about this product and need some support contact me 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.