I need help - I am concerned this may be liver issues and I may die soon based on how bad I feel.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I have been feeling ill for over a year now. Before this all started, I had never had any health issues - I only dreaded getting stomach viruses and flus. Anyway, my symptoms started when I took Adderall for 4 months in 2020 for my ADHD. One day while taking my second Adderall pill of the day (I was prescribed two 10 mg pills per day), I had this intense malaise, jittery, nervous sick feeling a few hours after I swallowed it. This was my first symptom. I thought it was a bad reaction to the medication, so I stopped it taking, but the malaise, panic attack feelings kept coming back even when I no longer took Adderall. They would last a few hours and wane but as time went by they became longer and more and more frequent even though the Adderall was long out of my system and I had nerve pain shoot down my left arm. I have since developed other symptoms as the year went by and they are the following and I wonder if they could be liver related:

1. Panic attacks/intense anxiety for no reason. It feels like I have had 20 cups of coffee and my nervous system is hyperactive much of the time. There is not anything stressful going on in my life, and I am not thinking of anything to make me anxious but yet I have panic attacks out of nowhere almost everyday. It is like the anxiety is coming from my body not my mind. When I feel this way I cannot sit or lie down, I have to walk around to help alleviate these feelings.

2. I have this malaise like feeling everyday. I feel unwell almost all of the time. When my symptoms started a year ago I only had malaise every few days, now it is almost constant. My perception of the world has changed. I don't feel good anymore, instead my mind feels "sick" and everything just feels gloomy and dark. I have had depression before, but this feels much worse and different. It feels so much sicker and intense. I have never felt anything like this before.

3. The inside of my fingers, palms, and wrists have changed to this yellow color. It looks like someone has taken a highlighter and marked all over my hands and wrists, but it is something under the skin. Also the bottom half of my eyes are this orange/yellow color. At first I thought this was due to lack of sleep due to feeling ill but now I think it is something else. I now go around wearing gloves on my hands to hide it because I am embarrassed for people to see it, and I wear sunglasses to hide my partially yellow eyes. Isn't this yellowing related to liver dysfunction, as that is what one nurse practitioner told me.

4. I have dull aches and shock like pains that move around my body at different times. Sometimes it feels like there is an electric current moving down my neck, shoulders, and face. When I feel this sensation I feel nauseous and even sometimes have to vomit. I get what feels like bone aches in my arms and legs. Other times I have zapping/electric pains that can happen anywhere in my body. And I get pins and needles like pain in various places. These pains are the worst after I eat a meal. When I eat something, several hours later I develop these pains with intense malaise/jittery/panic attack like feelings.

5)Constant pain in my upper right abdomen. It feels like a pressure/fullness/ache and it can hurt to press on that location.

1. Muscle twitches/fasculations frequently everyday. I had these once in a while throughout my life, but ever since my symptoms began a year ago, I have these all of the time and it drives me crazy.

2. I have brain fog/dream like feelings. I feel like my consciousness has been turned down by 50 percent. I just don't feel like I am all here any more and as if everyday is a dream mixed with giddiness. It is a weird feeling I have never had before in my life. I don't feel right any more, and it has caused me to become bedridden. Everything makes me feel nervous, jittery, giddy, and strange.

3. I now have insomnia with night sweats. I used to be able to sleep 9-10 hours a night every night with no sleeping issues whatsoever before all of this started. Now my body seems to only want to sleep around 3 hours per night and I wake up drenched in sweat where I have to change my clothes. I then have to walk around at night for hours because I feel so anxious and jittery.

4. I don't like to mention this one too much since it is gross but I think it is worth pointing out and that is my stools are no longer dark brown but instead are this light yellow color or almost white.

I have gone to doctors and to the emergency room. My bloodwork is all normal with a few exceptions. On one urine test I had there was a small amount of billirubin found. In addition, my GP says my Vitamin B12 is really high at 1100 even though I do not take vitamin B supplements. My protime/INR is in the upper end of normal range at 14.2 seconds, and INR is 1.2 seconds.

I recently got back the results of an ultrasound of my upper right abdomen. All organs/body parts were normal except the liver - the analyzing doctor wrote diffuse echogenic liver - hepatic steatosis.

Can someone give me advice on what I should do and if you think all of my symptoms are related to my liver? Is there anyway I can get help on this and reverse these horrible dehabilitating symptoms? I feel so sick experiencing these symptoms and have been for so long (over a year) I feel like my life, at least as how I knew it, is already over at 34 years old. I cannot believe Adderall did this much damage. Please help.

Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have gone to emergency rooms where they do not seem to pay much attention to my yellowing hands and eyes, and to just check with my GP.

My GP says not to worry too much about the yellowing because she says it is not true jaundice where you are yellow all over. Since it is just in my hands and part of my eyes, that it is not real jaundice and so she sort of discounts it. She also says it could be caused by excessive Vitamin A intake since my beta carotene is in the upper end of the reference range.

The worst symptom I have of all is the foreboding malaise. The best I can describe it is that it is the most gloomy, dark, and sickly feeling I have ever had in my life. The feeling of sickness from the flu does not come anywhere near how bad this malaise is. It is a very sickly feeling but different from the feelings I get from a cold/flu/stomach virus. It scares me because I kind of feel like it is like a way my body is warning me that something is going very wrong inside my body and my mind fears it could even lead to a potentially fatal outcome if left to fester over time. I wonder so much about this symptom because this malaise has gotten progressively more severe and more frequent as the year has gone by. What does this feeling mean? Could it be an indicator of a disease process? I experience it the worst when I first wake up drenched in sweat from another strange night sweat. I never had night sweats until they started in June 2020, they occurred jointly with my other severe symptoms. Can anxiety and mental thought processes generate gloomy dark feelings like this? Please respond. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi, hope you are doing better. Have you gotten to

the bottom of it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.