I need helper hair

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm so depressed about my hair, it's very thin and nearly bald on top. When I was 60 I've tried minoxodil topical and finesteride which didn't work as I have AGA, I use lots of dry shampoo and hair fibres but I'm finding it difficult to disguise now. So think it's time to either get a wig, hair topper or intralace mesh integration system - this is in the UK, it might be called something else in US. Has anyone had experience of these things please and were any successful? Not sure what to do next, any advice would be appreciated.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi barbara1404, my wife had telogen effluvium that is most of her hair fell out within a short time. The dermatologist advised her to get a wig but at first she put if off and tried all sorts of hair pieces, and dark scalp makeup to disguise bald patches.

It was much, much easier once she cut the few remaining hairs short and got a wig. We are in the UK and she got a prescription from her NHS dermatologist to help with the costs.

Good monofilament wigs are light but rather expensive and I would recommend looking for a store or hairdresser that specializes in wigs for cancer patients. My wife chose a wig that was similar to her natural hair.

• Posted

Thank you for that, I will try a local wig shop connected to NHS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.