I need insight as to what’s happening to me.

Posted , 7 users are following.

For the past few months i have been experiencing feelings of depression (low mood) which then i feel had brought on anxiety. I went to the doctors and i was issued mild anti-depressants, however i have not started the dosage due the stigma and side affects of the tablets.

I had started to experience insomnia for the last 3 weeks making my nights restless and feeling as though i haven't slept at all. This has made me feel worse physically and mentally, my body aches.

I now have a sticking ache/pain in the left side of my chest which i went doctors for. They sent me to the hospital for blood tests and a chest scan and i was told everything is fine and my heart is beating correctly (however i don't feel so).

I've now noticed the skin on my fingers are starting to peel slightly with patchy dry areas?

These past months have been hard and i've been worrying so much i just want this all to stop and feel healthy and vibrant again 😦

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Dear Joel

My advice to you. Don't even consider taking these "mild" antidepressants. please.

I have been on a variety of antidepressants over the past 28 years and I am now withdrawing and believe me, believe me it is isn't easy, its horrendous! So if you can enlist the help of your love ones for support and maybe asked the GP for a beta blocker say Propranolol to help the anxiety, this would be better. All of us suffer from anxiety from time to time - it's part of the human condition so stick with it and take it from someone of knows, no antidepressants. Once you start down that slippery slope, you will not be able to get the help from a GP or a psychiatrist because they do not understand the nature of withdrawal.

I wish you a resolution from your problems and health and happiness.

dee61180

• Posted

Hi I have to disagree with not taking meds. Many do and they help a lot of us. Someones else's personal experience is just that - personal. Just coz someone doesn't get on with meds doesn't mean that no one does. You need to listen to your doctor as they are the experts. They wouldn't prescribe them unless they were safe.

Many people take ad's these days and you haven't got to tell anyone if you don't want to so why the stigma? As for side effects all meds have some even over the counter ones such as paracetomal. Don't you take those if you need to?

If you for example had diabetes wouldn't you take meds to help with that? Or would you say oh I will tough it out. Meds aren't a cure but they can help you feel a bit better and more able to tackle your issues eg through counselling. x

• Posted

hi there

there is no scientific proof

that antidepressants work better than placebos however if you have been taking

the real thing you will surely know

when you try to withdraw from the wretched pills they steal lives

i am suffering terribly from antidepressant withdrawal and there

is virtually no help out there as to how

best to minimise the horrible withdrawal problems

• Posted

HI dee yes I do understand where you are coming from and your personal experiences. I am on sertraline and want to start tapering them off but after reading about terrible withdrawals I lack the courage at the moment.

I really hope you feel better soon. x

• Posted

Hi hyercat

If you make the decision to withdraw your meds, please go to a sympathetic doctor and ask to be carefully supervised with tapering your drugs. Hopefully this way will avoid the horrible experience that I am currently experiencing. It can works with careful tapering. I wish you luck and my prayers on your journey. I know how devastating it can be. All the best.

dee61180x

• Posted

Hi. ..I withdrew of sertraline with no problems at all, just tapered slowly!..

• Posted

Hi....sorry to disagree with you but the scientific proof that anti depressants do work was published not that long ago and certainly worked for me!!!

• Posted

hi Joel

its a pet theory of mine that depression is caused by a sense of loss.

so the question you ask yourself is "what is missing in my life?". ( in my case i feel like an outsider and not included). after getting your answer the challenge is to put those things into your life. if this is scary thats good! in my case i went and volunteered playing piano in an aged care home which made me nervous etc but was better than depression. maybe other physical symptoms will subside. tell me what you think.

• Posted

hi joel, doctors seem to think 'smarties' are the best thing to help with depression. i have had depression for years, because it:s a side effect of having coeliac disease. (that's what i have). i think it's best to NOT take these smarties, you don't need them. try mindfulness, yoga, walking, counselling, talking to people, volunteering or ANYTHING else but don't feel compelled to take the 'smarties'. it angers me so much they're no quick fix!

• Posted

Hi. ..they are no quick fix thats true, they take time to work but they are not smarties, you are scaring people, they saved my life in the past...

• Posted

my intention was certainly not to scare anyone. i am trying to say don't just take them if you don't feel happy or your doctor insists they're the best thing at the end of the day if is your choice!

• Posted

YES, YES, YES.. TRY ALL OF THESE BEFORE GOING DOWN THE SLIPPERY SLOPE OF ANTIDEPRESSANTS. ITS NOT WORTH THE WITHDRAWAL EFFECTS BELIEVE ME.

• Posted

Hey Joe, sleeping disorders is a part of depression. When I going to sleep at night I am evicted by a hard pain and don't sleep well at nigh from a month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.