I need new glasses but the eye test is always different, what should I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi!

I am nearsighted. I’ve been noticing that my eyes have gotten worse (I especially felt a difference between the left and right eye) so I went to the optometrist for a test and possible new glasses. I went in the afternoon (but I felt rested and fine) and the test came out like this:

Right: -2.25

Left:-2.5

(For context, my glasses were -2 on both sides before)

During the test though, there was not that big of a difference on the right eye, so they recommended me to leave the -2 in the right eye and get only -2.25 in the left eye. They said it would make my eyes work more for it and not get lazy. So it is what I did. When the glasses came, however, they didn’t feel good at all… So they made another test, and that day, it came out like this:

Right: -2.25

Left:-2.75

A much bigger difference on the left side… I decided to go home and wear the glasses for a day to see how I’d adjust to them, but I wanted another test made in the morning when my eyes are more rested… So I went again today, and the test is different again:

Right: -2.5

Left: -2.75

They made me walk around with glasses that have this strength, and everything was super clear but they also gave me two other lenses that made both sides -0.25 less to see if there’s a difference. And I must say, everything was clear with both versions, but with the stronger ones it was just slightly more sharp… I really don’t know what I should do. They ordered me some contact lenses now to see how I would feel with those and then decide which glasses to get…

But because the test is always so different it’s very hard for me to figure out what to do… I will go to a different place to get a test, yet again, because I don’t want to make a mistake. I read that undercorrecting is just as bad as overcorrecting. I just really don’t want my eyes to get even worse, I got the -2 ones only 2 years ago…

I also have a hard time believing the -2.75, -2.5 test because with the current setup (L:-2.25, R:-2) it feels like it’s SO SO close to being very sharp... I would believe the L:-2.5, R:-2.25 more to be honest…

How do I know what is the correct choice? With the slightly less strong ones things were clear too, but with the strong ones it was just extra sharp… It’s just all so confusing.

And I have another question:

A year ago a doctor recommended me to get -1.5 glasses for looking at the computer or reading to not strain the eye as much when I look close. Is this even a good practice? Now that I’ve read that undercorrection is actually bad I can’t really tell what I should do. Should I even keep using those or do they make my eyes worse in the long run? I know other people with nearsightedness and they use the same glasses for everything…

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Were your eyes tested at different times on those days? Eyes can vary throughout the day and the sharpest time is around 2pm. If you had your eyes tested at very different times of day that could account for the difference. Did you also have a pressure test?

• Posted

When it comes to myopia there is a trade-off between seeing an object sharper and slightly smaller vs seeing the object slightly larger and slightly less sharp. For this reason, your acuity (your ability to distinguish the smallest details) might be the same with say the setup L:-2.25 R:-2 and L:-2.5 and R:-2.25. In such a situation, I usually choose to under-correct. In my experience, wearing the glasses with the lower power seems to strain my eyes less.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.