I need some advice ref my p I p claim.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm currently on low d la care but higher mobility so I have a car. Recently bought second hand scooter as I can't walk far at all now.

But had a p I p assessment... Even though she'd written I can walk more than 20 meters without being out of breath. Plus spinal problems. Then ticked the 50-200 M box. No points awarded on the planning a journey section. Even.though my b f has to drive me places. I don't go out socially. Suffer with depression and anxiety. Partly due to breathing etc. Has anyone had the same? Looks like I'd not even get standard mobility let alone enhanced. I have had an infection since the day before my assessment so am pretty I'll yet she said I looked well.......

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Caroline, the British lung foundation can give help with benefits, advice any way and Age UK will come out to your home if you can't get out, citizens advice bureaux is you next option to get help with the form.

On next application you can request them to come and assess you at home or you can take someone with you to the assessment.

I know its very difficult the key is to keep focussed on what you can't do when they assess you and filling in the form, even when they ask what its like on a good day,  , think of it as a better day and mention the restrictions even on a good day.  I found when I did it they disregarded entirely what I couldn't do and just picked up on what I could.

Ask on the blf site at healthunlocked, there are lots of posts already on PIP application, assessments with links.

Good luck with it all and take care of yourself.

By the way you can't walk 20 metres without being out of breath, especially when you have an exacerbation and if recovering from pneumonia, mention the exhaution, slowness, need for rest breaks, paint etc.  What we are coping with day to day becomes normal every day for us, we don't like focussing on what we can't do its upsetting, but that is precisely what we have to do and communicate it on the form and at the assessment without candy flossing any thing in order to get any where near a successful claim.

• Posted

Thank you and yes it's common.since I'd think. My bungalows tiny but still if I walk from front room to kitchen I'm puffing. That's only about 12 meters. And my b p and pulse shoots up. Even the nurses have realised once I sit for 5_ 10 mins it goes back down.

I'll check out the lung website thank you.

• Posted

I emailed they replied saying it's getting so common with p I p....

But a few resources to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.