I need some help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had some symptoms that includes throat lump feeling, bowel movement disorder, diarrhea and constipation also stomache and bloating and the need to take deep breathe also getting bothered after eating in like 30 mins to an hour

long story short i went did couple of tests everything is fine, i do not have GERD or acid reflux or ulcer or anything in stomach nor blood test and even a picture of my lungs and stomach from outside to see the inside nothing is wrong however only thing i did not do is the gastroscopy, my family seem to have issues with..

I went to the pharmacy about a month ago she told me to take probiotic and PPIs for a week, and i felt way better could eat whatever i want had more appetite and even my bowel movement got all good, however, after stopping the probiotic for 2 weeks it seem the symptoms are back..

I was thinking to try and take probiotic again for 1 month to treat everything well, what do u guys think any advice?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

If your pharmacist told you to take a probiotic, and it worked...why stop it? In my understanding, probiotics take some time to do the job. I would start again...and tell your doctor what you are doing, John. Let us know how it goes, Honey.
  • Posted

hi johndiggle

It would be a good idea to change your diet completely.. Use probiotics every day.

change to gluten free, lactose free, wheat free, caffeine free and sugar free foods with plenty of water.  I did this and I cant tell you how much better my stomach and bowels are also my energy levels. I also take high dose vit C and 

eat chicken, fish lamb, and plenty of fruit and veg. I cook the chicken fish plain occasionally with a garlic and lemon marinade not too much lemon and cook lamb roast with veg and lamb mince with a gluten free bolognese sauce.

The popular  supermarkets stock 'free from' foods i.e bread. cake, vegetarian 'free from' in freezer section.  and lactose free and dairy free section.

It is a bit more expensive..but what price your health!!

Best Wishes......

• Posted

I always try to cut the sugar, caffeine and all that. I am not really a fan of sweets anyway but i sometimes drink Alcohol from time to time like 1-2 times a week nothing big of a deal

I also always like to make BBQ healthy food with not much oil and more vegetables

Thanks for your advice smile

• Posted

probiotics always have to be taken for months.....the last trial was a 6months recommended duration.
  • Posted

I wouldn't go glluten free unless you tested positive for gluten intolerance, John. It's a simple blood test your doctor will order.

• Posted

I've actually made blood tests also Thryoid blood test, all were okay.

Im not sure if there is a specific blood test for gluten intolerance though if that is what you meant.

• Posted

Hi johndiggle

You don't have to be gluten intolerant to go gluten free it is good to go gluten free anyway.. It is just an ingredient made from wheat to make bread, cakes etc., doughy..Also, sauces, gravy granules and pastries. I'm not gluten intolerant and I would recommend gluten free to all. Up to you though john...best wishes...

• Posted

but note,

some do not experience benefits of gluten free as a non-coeliac person.

Yes, try if you like (but don't get coeliac tested when being on this diet).

We tried for months, it was not only a hassle and expensive, but to no benefit whatsoever for us personally.

Also think our ancestors ate this protein for 1000s of years, rye, wheat, oats, spelt, kamut, farro, durum, bulgar and semolina. My ancestors had no access to rice or corn being from Europe.

I am actually happy it did nothing to our abdominal pain and can bake some bread again, that works, self made bread has no additives and maybe some non-coeliac people react actually to the additives in store bought bread or other processed products,

that contain gluten due to being highly processed with other ingredients, too (it's in food one would never ever think it would be in, but is one of the many other addatives added), not the protein gluten itself?

Just a thought.

I think people, who avoid gluten as non-coeliac disease sufferers,

are actually having a better, less processed diet, look more what they eat, eat from scratch since you often can't trust processed food combos,

and that actually making them feeling better?

Worth a try so or so.

• Posted

I would actually like to make everything from scratch my self instead of buying it from stores etc.. We can never trust these products and what is inside of them..

Now adays everything in the food category is poisining our stomach esepcially fast food and eating outside with a non healthy diet.

Mind if you tell me how gluten is bad for the health whether we are Gluten intolerant or not?

• Posted

Yes, frustrating when you read ingredient labels.... e.g. yoghurts with gelatine is not a toxic concern for me, I can understand this additive for the texture, but not everybody likes dead animals on their plate either when eating something considered non-dead animal product...getting side tracked.

If someone is truely, medically established gluten intolerant = coeliac disease, a completely gluten free diet is essential

(to avoid serious health risks further down the track, not only the discomfort now is an issue from abdominal pain, distention, blood in stool to gas, malabsorbtions leading to secondary problems from infertility to anemia and osteoporosis)

Coeliac disease is an autoimmune disorder. An immune response to gluten, to this protein, a reaction, that one should not have.  But if you do, one needs to avoid this protein gluten.

Those specific antibodies destroy the microvillies in the guts (hence the absorbtion issue with secondary malnutrition issues and pain issues and immune system stress down the track causing higher cancer risks).

My in-law family runs this disease and late diagnose caused early death (lymphoma, a common elevated cancer risk in untreated coeliac patients) hence we had a screen of non-symptomatic family members even too.

We are all fine, not even gene carrying.

I am not aware of any bad health impact of gluten alone, if one is not suffering coeliac disease. 

Since gluten has been in at least my ancestry tree for a long time, I will keep it in my diet, especially as going vegan often enough out of vegetarian, it is a great source for protein, too. (seitan)

Gluten free 'for fun' in non-coeliac disease people is a different story, as mentioned I highly believe the 'feeling better' has to do with the life style change in general that any gluten avoidance brings with it since one must read labels detailled to avoid hidden gluten and with those ingredients come other additives, that are avoided automatically. Also it could be that they reacted to something else, another protein, that is not gluten, but comes in combination like a wheat allergy.

I highly believe a good diet is key to health for sure.

Some are allergic to other proteins than gluten in cereals.

So that must be kept very apart and not confused.

e.g. Wheat allergy. - it's an IgE allergic response with all the typical allergic reactions. You can search internet if interested. It's a huge field.

Personally I don't think a protein named gluten can do harm in people, who are not coeliac or allergic to it.

If anyone knows better with good solid studies (other than from sale promoting adds), please, please, I would love to hear about them.

We tried striced gluten free for months. 

Also be aware, that rice can be a trigger for allergies!

It's always often named as the start for elemination diets, but what if exactly that one is THE reason for abdominal problems?

People jump onto gluten since coeliac disease truely does exist,

but being 100% not coeliac disease effected or allergically reacting on it, having no gut villi destruction, I would quickly forget about it and rather look elsewhere.

Food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES) is what parents obsevere, when they introduce new food like rice or cow's milk.... 

it has nothing to do with gluten.

There is no one shoe fits all and hence testing and trial and errors are neccessary when it come to 'food intolerances' and 'food allergies' other than gluten once coeliac disease is excluded.

Coeliac disease:

This antibody cause a villous atrophy in the small bowel and can hence be proven (biopsy).

For coeliac disease diagnose:

one get's an antibody blood test first (you must eat gluten for this test!),

this blood test for tissue transglutaminase antibody (tTG), IgA class, endomysial antibody is usually more sensitive than specific to avoid false negative results (as screeeing test should), but can cause false positive results.

People with a positive blood antibody test will be therefore sent for a small bowel biopsy, that is the gold standard to show, if one suffers coeliac disease.

There is a great (but maybe not everywhere available or to be paid privately) genetic coeliac test, HLA DQ2, HLA DQ8. Beware though: if positive, only 1 out of 30 (or 10, studies vary) is actually coelic disease expressing, the others are simply carriers with a not switched on gene, but can pass it on.

When it comes back negative though, one for sure has no gluten intolerance and not even the 1:10 risk.

So yes, gluten is bad for your health causing gut villi atrophy when you suffer coeliac disease.

When you are not suffering coeliac disease, this specific protein should cause no harm, but be digested and a protein source.

That's how far I understand the complex problematic brought down into one sentence.

The studies read about so called non-coeliac-gluten intolerance all point out, that people seem to think it is the gluten, but most likely something else that is avoided via gluten free diet, from any other protein in grains to actually FODMAP, polyols that are avoided and might have been the reason for symptoms, not the gluten.

Also life style, diet change itself seemed beneficial.

So a gluten free diet doesn't harm at least, if...one suffers not other allergies or intolerances or malabsorbtions, which are not gluten to blame.

Did I make sense?redface

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.