I need some reassurance please.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ii am in the US but this seems to be the most active place on the Internet. I hope you don't mind.

I had surgery December 22nd, for rectocele, cystocele, prolapsed vagina and urethra sling. It was done vaginally. I was supposed to be released from the hospital the next morning but because I hade problems voiding I was kept 4 days. I had to self catheter for 2 days at home.

I can tell the surgery has helped my issues but now I'm not sure I am healing right.

It's been over 6 weeks and I still have discharge. Not to be to graphic but it looks like puss (infection) but no odor. The doctor swabbed me and found no infection. He did pull out 2 threads that were disolving. He said I was irritated inside. He suggested I lightly douche.

Also, I developed a severe case of what looks like cystic acne all over my labia, and the opening of my vagina. My doctor said it may be a reaction to the pads and to not wear loose exercise pants so my skin doesn't have constant contact.

I am 51 years old and actve. Not overweight and generally healthy. This surgery has really taken my energy, still giving me pain and I don't know how much more I can take.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Please excuse the typos, I am using a phone.
  • Posted

I'm sorry you're not feeling like your recovery is going well.  I am also in the US and only 12 days post op but I did want to tell you that my doctor told me the discharge could go on for several weeks, even beyond 6.  He also said it could randomly change to blood even weeks after you've stopped bleeding and not to worry about it.  I know I'm behind where you are in your recovery but I hope this helps!  
  • Posted

Hello ladiauctioneer. I'm in the UK and I know we always like to hear from the ladies in the US. So welcome. I agree with tlee it is normal to have a discharge for about 6 weeks. Regarding your energy levels, well remember you've had major surgery and it will take about 8-10 weeks before you'll feel you have more energy. Remember to take things easy and rest as much as you can and NO heavy lifting. Take care
  • Posted

Hi ladiauctineer, Get your doctor to check that you are not showing signs of 'granulation' where the stitches are. My stitches were supposed to dissolve but were still there long after they should gone and then I started having a discharge and sometimes with a spot of watery blood. I went to see my own doctor who sent me back to see my gynaecologist at the hospital. She checked everything and took swabs as she thought I had developed an infection. She prescribed for me antibiotics. When they didn't work, she said the problem I was having was a reaction to the dissolvable stitches. Areas around the stitches were inflamed and showed signs of what she called 'granulation'. The treatment was to 'paint' the area around the stitches with a Silver Nitrate pencil. This cauterised the wounds and the stitches remaining were pulled out. Within days the discharge had stopped and everything healed in no time. I hope you get your problem solved pretty soon too.You can Google - 'granulation' around a wound - and it explains what it is. Good luck. LadyPink
  • Posted

Hi, Forgot to mention I am in the UK and was 69 when I had this procedure done in October of 2013. Within three months all was absolutely great and having just got married again, bedroom activities resumed were better than ever. So for all of you out there's need not worry about that side of things. I was delighted with the results and so happy I had the operation done. LadyPink
  • Posted

Thank you ladies. Looking up granulation now.
  • Posted

Ok ladies, a miracle happened! I was in the shower washing myself when I felt a lump coming out of my vagina. I looked with a mittor. Huge Bartholen gland cyst. I called Dr and made appointment. It burst before my appointment.

I no longer have discharge and all the acne disappeare, except for 2 bumps, by the next day. My energy level is amazingk better 48 hours later.

Now if my tailbone and cheek pain would go away I would be perfect.

• Posted

Hello!  I'm facing the same surgery in a week.  Are you feeling better?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.