I need to know what is happening to me

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! Since I was 5 years old (more or less) I've been experiencing brief episodes with this symptoms: first I feel a emptiness in my chest and then my heart starts beating fast, I feel tingles in my head and I see white bright lights. Sometimes, it also happens that those white lights leave me blind and I lose consciousness during a second (but without falling). This episodes are between 10 and 20 seconds long. When they finish, my hands are shaking and I feel during 5-7 minutes that it will be happening again but it never does.

However, once every a few years this episodes hit me strongly and I lose consciousness totally. But as fast as I fall down, I wake up again. Right before and right after this happening I feel okey and I can continue with my life perfectly after those 5 minutes.

During my child and adolescence I visited the neurologist and the cardiologist and they did me and echocardiogram and CT scan but everything seemed fine.

I'm worried because when I was a girl this episodes happened once a month but now (I'm 24) happens once a week or week and a half. I have no idea what it is happening to me but something must be because I've been living almost 20 years with it. Please, I need help, I live in fear of happening while I'm in the street and falling down. If anyone have any clue, please tell me. Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

the first thing that came to my mind is maybe simple partial seizures? not sure though.
  • Posted

I'm wondering if you have an electrical problem with your heart, you would need to have a halter monitor maybe for as much as a week, its a recorder that you wear, day and night and it records what your heart is doing electrically.

Other than that do you have a high end fitbit that can record your heartbeat patterns during these episodes, download that to your computer, and see if anything looks abnormal to your regular patterns, when you are not having an episode, then you can take that printout from your computer to your Dr, mark as normal and or abnormal or during lightheaded episode.

We met someone here in Australia who did exactly that, finally with the printout from his fitbit able to convince Dr's he had a problem, electrical problem with his heart, pacemaker installed, another had a ablation of nerves in his heart that were causing the problem, with extra heartbeats, both all OK now.

Husband who has heart failure due to an infection developed an electrical problem with his heart, and again nobody was listening, as he was not having these episodes when they did tests, eventually collapsed at home, with very slow heartbeat, 30BPM, and even then in the ER it was every thing but what I was saying it was, they took him off his tablets for his heart failure as they could be causing slow heart beat, during the night he was under observation, 12 hours after they withdrew his tablets, his heartbeat fell even further, down to 23 BPM, at that point the consultant electro cardiologist was called in and he hit the roof, especially after I explained the subtle symptoms which I had described the the juniors the day before that had been going on for 15 months previous, consultant told me I was correct too along, electrical problem and pain caused by lack of blood flow because of intermittent episodes of slow heartbeat.

Pacemaker installed sameday, no problems since.

An echocardiogram will not show up any problems with an electrical problem unless you have an episode during the examination.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.