I need to talk to someone about my mental health...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Lately my mental state has spiralled so far out of control, I'm worried that I may not be able to feel 'normal' ever again. I've been feeling the same for a year but I feel it's not getting any better. I've talked to my parents before but would like to see a proffesional. I think it would be good as it could help unearth any deep problems that are affecting the way I am today. I've tried to do it on my own but I'm having difficulties due to my current mental state.

I know there are plently of professionals out there I can talk with, but my problem is, is that I'm worried that in doing so, it could affect me getting a job in the future? Or affect other areas of my life? So I am asking if anyone knows if there's anyway I could have 'private' discussions with a professional and have strict confidentiality, as I'm capable of working, I just don't want to be labelled. And if anyone knows how costly it would be and if they've had any experience with this?

I am 17 yrs old and currently @ school. I greatly appreciate any helpful comments/ advice etc... <3 :'wink 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

what is your current mental state? Is it exam stress?
    • Posted

why do you think you are pingu or something?! lol 

Are you labelling yourself before being diagnosed? That is a common mistake that people make when they become worked up.

• Posted

Noot Noot!

I guess so. I've had depression on and off for years. I've also had anxiety for a few years now, I've just let it get out of hand. There's plenty of information on the internet to inform me, such as the NHS, and my own parents. And i know i am dissociated for certain. So if people ask, it's up to them if they believe me or not. I'm not one to boast about my mental state for attention. I know theres r heavy things for someone my age and it does feel heavy! It affects my everyday life and it's something I have to try to overcome. 

I was interested in someone more confidential and not a GP because I know I'll just be given drugs, and I believe the way I am feeling today is possibly the result of trauma at a young age and many other factors, including not talking about how I feel to anyone.

It's possible that I'll just have to work this out on my own. But thanku

• Posted

At least you admit that you  researched your illness on the internet. Did you do  the standard are you depressed anxious questionnaires to see if it was true. This is a better indicator.  How is the disassociation affecting you on a daily basis? and can you give me some examples of what happens?  If you want to talk about the trauma privately you can message me if you want and it will be confidential.
  • Posted

Im seeing a proffesional now and as far as i know, it shouldnt affect you getting most jobs. Some jobs you need a psych-eval to get. For me, im getting help through kaiser, so its provided in my plan. I hope this helps
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply, that is comforting to know. I hope everything goes well for yousmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.