I never feel as if I'm in my body :,(

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi im Gemma

I'm really struggling withy anxiety at the moment from the min I wake up to the moment I finally am able to fall asleep I feel panicky, like I'm not in my body and that I'm going to die I'm exhausted and am now starting to think would it be so bad just to die, I'm suck o feeling like I can't breath and I get so dizzy all the time, I was at work the other day ( I'm a receptionist) and I worked myself up that much because I kept going dizzy an light headed I actually forgot how to swallow which ten panicked me further and I ended up having a full on panic attack but it was so different from the others ove had I didn't have the gripping feeling in my stomach or the numbness which has now lead me to believe in dying I'm so fed up of feeling like this and constantly thinking I've got good people around me but they don't understand how could they understand the mind of a crazy person! :,( any advise would be much appreciated or just somebody to tell me I'm not crazy and that I'm not the only one with these effects thank you x

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You are not alone and I will tell you this, anxiety can make you feel anything in your body from head to foot. Trust me I know. I suffer from fear of dying from disease and it drives me crazy . I think that all the time I waisted worrying about things has finally produced something to worry about as I am being tested for High Blood Pressure and it might be because of a left ventricular Hypertrophy but I'm not sure. I will tell you this, worrying about whatever you are worrying about is not going to make you feel better it's just going to make you feel all those anxious feelings and thoughts to the point it will drive you nuts and it's no way to live a life . I know first hand how difficult your plight is but try focusing on the good parts of your life and if the bad thoughts and feelings arise, which they will for reason or not, just realize it's only a thought , think about it for a minute because it's mentally impossible not to and then send that damn thought packing.

Good luck in health and happiness !

• Posted

Feeling outside your body is a strange and disturbing symptom of anxiety called 'depersonalization'.

Get to your GP and get a referral to a psychiatrist or whatever way it is done in your country. I am in UK that is the way in the NHS.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi guys thanks for replying and I'll take on what your advice, Ive actually had more than an hours sleep so feel a little bit more human! Thanks again smile
  • Posted

Gemma- I know exactly what you are going through. As I sit here at my desk typing this I feel like I am not in my body and my head feels like there is nothing inside of it. Very scary feeling. You just have to chalk it up to Anxiety and thats it. I have had it since October after going cold turkey off my Meds. I am back on them but still dealing with it. I have it from the moment I wake up until I go to bed. Only gets better if I dont think about it. 

Send me a PM if you want to chat further. I am in the states

• Posted

Hi

Just wondering what meds you were on before you experienced dp.

• Posted

Hiya,

I was taking sertaline and diazepam but they made me feel so sick so I tried a herbal tablet which felt didn't do anything ive even tried actupunture but I felt panicky do I stopped going I just wish my mind would stop thinking and let me at least try sad x

• Posted

hi gemma - i hope you feel better soon. i would encourage you to talk to your gp, also. depersonalisation is a very odd feeling. therapy and or meds can help you. when i have had that feeling, it helped me to touch things. literally. i was in the train once when i had a panic attack with depersonalisation and heart palps. i looked at the chair and the window and watched myself thouch them. really tried to feel what they felt like. i probably talked under my breath, but at least in my head i said to myself: "you're touching the chair. you are sitting on it. you are fine." i know this sounds strange. but i realised that when i felt detached from the situation, like i wasn't part of the scene i was in (weird as that is by itself and certainly hard to explain) when i forced myself to recognise that i was in the scene, it helped me shake the feeling. then all i had to deal with were the heart palps and nausea. small victories one step at a time. 

maybe this will help next time... take care. 

• Posted

Thank you for sharing how you feel with me this may sound horrible but it actually makes me feel a little less crazy, which is no feel 99% of the time, I've mad an appoinent with my GP but to be honest they are just so quick to chuck this tablet and that tablet at me, which make me feel spaced out and that's the feeling I'm trying to get rid of, I'm thinking of trying actupunture again the 1st time didn't go so well I panicked for what reason I don't no, and had a full on panick attack I'm determined to feel 'normal' again I just want to be my old self again sad

Hope your feeling ok and thank you again x

• Posted

I feel You. You can read my newest discussion for more details smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.