I never feel tired, I stay up all night, and force myself to sleep at 6am every day. Help?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone. 

For a while now, I’ve been off and on with my sleep schedule, and for no reason in particular either. My work doesn’t interfere with my sleep habits, I just simply never feel tired. 

For example, I stay up ALL night long, usually up until 6am and I start contemplating either going to lay down to try and force myself to sleep, or try staying awake for the rest of the day to try and knock myself back into a normal sleep cycle at normal people time. I like the idea of staying awake because my body doesn’t feel tired. I don’t do much physical activity, I tend to stay sedatary at night when I stay up, usually by watching Netflix. I do drink a lot of Mountain Dew, but I feel like caffeine doesn’t affect me anymore. And even during the day time, I don’t do much physical activity because I have social anxiety and mild depression, so I never feel like leaving my house to go exercise. I started to do simple workouts, but then after a couple of days I stop doing them. But anyways, back to my decision of going to sleep or not, I’ll sleep from 6am until around 11am and sometimes even as late as 2pm. I NEVER wake up to my alarms. I set 6 alarms on my iPhone, 2 on my iPad, and at full blown volume. I usually wake up to my alarm to find out it had been ringing for 2 hours straight. I don’t feel stressed when I try to sleep, but I’m not as happy as I could be, so I I don’t know if the depression and anxiety plays a role in it. I had a traumatic life event happen last Christmas, but I have grown past it and don’t feel like that affects my sleep anymore. So I don’t know what to do. Is it bad for my health to be a night owl and sleep during the hours of 6am to 12pm? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I wonder if your experience is different to those workers who whose jobs are night jobs and therefore have to sleep in daylight hours?

I would perhaps wonder if the lack f exercise is healthy, because unless you are rigorous about what you eat may you not risk becoming overweight?

• Posted

Hi,

It looks from your user name as if you're 26. If this is the case, I'd say you're far too young to allow yourself to get into this nocturnal pattern, which is more often found among the elderly. I'm tending in the same direction myself, but I'm nearly 50 years older than you - and I'm taking measures to bring it under some sort of control.

You really need to keep up the daytime exercise, as well as cutting back sharply on the Mountain Dew. I wasn't aware it contained any caffeine, but it certainly contains way too much sugar.

I'm sorry to hear about the traumatic event you suffered, but I'm afraid the ball is in your court. If you don't get your lifestyle in order you're going to have serious health problems in the not-too-distant future.

• Posted

I am 15 and my average sleep is 12:00 to 12:10 and I stay throughout the whole day and I don’t feel tired but I don’t get exited anymore I have a 8 hour school schedule and it is hard after a while but I get winded quickly but I climbed a mountain today but I can’t tell people how tired I feel but I still ran down, good night to some but good morning to me it’s 12:40 AM.
    • Posted

I need help. Severe insomnia. trying to get off prescription sleep aid but I cant. and its not working well anymore

• Posted

Hi there,

🙂

First of all can I say, im sorry about your time last year,it’s never nice to hear someone has had a traumatic time.

weird thing sleeping and 💤 patterns

Caffeine is a biggie it’s a stimulant and you say that you don’t think it affects you now. I wonder if you could try decafinated  at night to see if that makes any difference.

i say this only as I’ve sleep problems.. I’ll be up now till about three!, the like you force myself to go !! I’m a bit scared because when I do fall asleep my nightmares sleep terrors come!

I stopped in 2011 it has made a diffence in the fact I could  feel myself wind down and then with the aid of meds it started to get better.

It’s worth trying to see if you do feel tired in the evenings then, maybe a little exercise if you can. I know this is easier said than done but just wanted to say the caffeine would be a good start.

Take care 

vicky🌈

• Posted

Sorry..

i forgot to say after forcing myself to go to bed to sleep! I only sleep when it’s starting to become daylight ive noticed for some reason. I guess the night frightens me and I feel safer that way.

take care

vicky🌈

• Posted

Classic signs of a circadian rythm problem. Next time you stay up all night I want you to stay up during the day. Take these steps. Get up, eat breakfast, let your food digest, go outside for hour and exercise, come back in and do chores/work, eat lunch, relax for a few hours, eat dinner and then finally go to bed. When you get to bed take a melatonin supplement. You should sleep great. 
  • Posted

Hi Cotylee1991,

Are you still having trouble sleeping until now? I have an infographic to show you, it helps me a lot. I hope it could help you too,  http://mindyourzen.com/how-to-sleep-better/

The problem lies in your sleeping habit or your lifestyle. There must be a solution to your problem, without relying on sleeping supplements first. Natural remedies are still the best option since it doesn't have any side effects. If it doesn't work, let me know. I'll help you in any way I can.

• Posted

I have been in and out of sleep clinics for over 25 years and I'm 35yo now. I do not have insomnia, I do have obstructive sleep apnea. I sleep on average about 4-4.5hrs of sleep per night. My CPAP machine keeps track and there are times I have to log extra hours by reading with it on to meet there 4hr mark so my insurance will pay for it.

All these years and tests and they doctor's basically have said that I'm in a small minority of people who simply require little sleep. I progress through the sleep stages rapidly until rem sleep and stay there for about 3.5-3.75hrs out of 4.

During my wake hours I understand what being physically tired is, emotionally tired, and mentally tired, but never sleepy.

I really don't know what that FEELS like. I sleep out of routine to about side effects. I have visual/auditory hallucinations after around 52 hours awake and at some point after 70hrs I will simply pass out for 6-8hrs of sleep and pop awake like it never happened.

I don't know if this is helpful in anyway, but you are not alone in these feelings and I have had many many doctors argue with me about what is happening to me, tell me it can't be and tell me I must be lying.

I have given doctor's ultimatums to ensure I got accurate and informed care. It's your health and your life on the line, stand up for it and if any of these things are detrimental to your life in any way, go get checked and don't be afraid to shop around with doctors until one fits.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.