I no longer have achalasia but i still have difficulty in swallowing.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Apparently i no longer have achalasia, but i still can't swallow properly, so what can it be? I've been diagonised with gastritis and acid reflux but I'm just confused right now, the doctors are making me take alot of tests again - to find out why i can't swallow i guess. I'm 18 and I'm tired of this, really don't want to go through this again. I still get pain in my back, chest and throat after eating and slouch for a minute, it is agonizing and annoying. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Vicky,

i wish you all the best I have been thru all of what you are going thru. There are things that you can do to help your situation as well. Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Vicky,

Just adding our experience with our eight year old daughter -- she had a myotomy and fundoplication but a while afterwards got terrible pain, nausea and was very unwell for months. The doctor changed her medication from omeperazole to a newer/different? version - esomeprazole. She also started gaviscon three times a day with each meal.

The gaviscon lines her stomach and has made the world of difference. She has been largely pain free for about 6 months since starting the gaviscon. When she doesn't have it she feels nausea and the pain returns.

Hope this gives you something else to add to your knowledge and thinking.

All the best.

• Posted

Just adding a thought, that gaviscon is an alginate that creates a protective raft against reflux, both acid and alkali (bile).   It does not interfere with the other medication, and is available over the counter.   If the omeprazole / esomeprazole are not effective, this may feasibly be because she is suffering from bile reflux for some reason?   It might be worth checking with the doctors in due course.   They can give a test for whether it is acid or bile.
    • Posted

Thanks very much. I will ask about that. 
    • Posted

I do apologise.   I have looked at my last post and realise I should have said that Gaviscon does NOT interfere with other medication (to the best of my knowledge) and is available over the counter.

I aplogise again

Alan

Emis Moderator comment: I have edited the original post above.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.