i only found out this week about esa for my son

Posted , 2 users are following.

my son hasĀ  autistic disorder , and I only found out yesterday about esa for him how long does it take to be processed

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

This would depend whether or not he claims DLA/PIP, does he attend college? Do you claim Child benefit and child tax credits for him?

• Posted

Is he under the age of 20 if so do you claim child benefit and child tax credits for him?

Sorry but i can't help you unless i have all the info. If you claim child benefit and child tax credits for him then if he claims ESA your benefits for him will stop this is because you can't claim those benefits if he claims ESA in his own right. If you don't claim benefits for him then he'll be able to claim ESA in his own right.

• Posted

Ok thank you. Then yes he can claim ESA. However if he currently has a student loan then this will count as Income and be taken off his ESA Income Related award. If he does have a student loan then i'd advice speaking to the college he attends for further advice because like i said it will reduce the ESA amount because the loan is counted as Income. In some cases it reduces the ESA to zero.

As he currently claims DLA and not PIP he'll soon be invited to apply for PIP along with everyone else. This can be anytime from now until next September i believe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.