6 Replies

• Posted

Lew,

Many here have had this and there are numerous discussion threats about PAE. If you have a median lobe results may not be as good, but IRs are getting better at addressing this issue. Some here have had excellent results, while others have only had partially successful results. I had a PAE in 2017 and had about a 20% improvement in flow, went off Flomax, but after a year was back to where I started from. I did have a median lobe issue at the time. The procedure is easy, but you go through about a week or two of discomfort after due to some prostate swelling and irritation. I just took Tylenol and more Flomax for two weeks to counter the swelling. The side effects are minimal, so after doing your research it might be worth a try. There are no procedures to address BPH that are consistently effective on everyone - as we all have different anatomy and bladder issues, so no guarantees no matter what you do.

Tom

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm 4 years on from mine. Bottom line, a distinct improvement on where I was 4 years ago but it is by no means a cure. Far from it, but nothing is, without some consequence and compromise. PAE is a starting point that leaves further options if needed. That alone is enough to recommend it to those that qualify.

I still have occasional urgency and I still have to get up at least once a night. PVR is not bad but still present, so frequency is more than normal but way better than it was.

Would I do it again? All day long, it is something I would recommend to anyone whose anatomy is suitable, particularly to anyone under 60 who is just starting to experience BPH symptoms. The reason for that is I read of so many Men's experience of leaving the problem too long, relying on basically useless meds and all their side effects and who just end up knackering their bladder.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm only 15 weeks post procedure, but I'm very happy. I'm retaining less than 30 ml, and previously I was retaining over 100 ml while taking flowmax. I still take saw palmetto extract as it seems to make a real difference for me now, far more than I could discern before my PAE. My sex life has greatly improved, it's not like when I was in my 20's, but it's better than the past few years. I'm scheduled for a flow test in a couple more months, and I expect it will show some improvement, but not a ton. But I don't care as much about flow as retention and sexual health. The 2 days after the procedure were uncomfortable at best, especially starting a stream, and I continued on the flowmax for about 11 days. But starting 3 days after and continuing now, I can usually sleep for 5 or even 6 hours before I wake up to urinate. Prior to the PAE, I was up pretty much up every 2 hours.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had my PAE 6 months ago and I could not be happier! I have not had to use my pee bottle that I carry in my car one single time since procedure, where previously it was 2-3 times a week. I drive a lot for business. I would say I am virtually BPH symptom FREE! I get up once per night.

Frequency and urgency have vanished. I am very lucky!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

I had Pae two years ago. Still have to limit alcohol and spicy food. The Prostate is growing again and will probably need another in a couple of years.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up