I put the sensation aside for months, thought it was pro...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I put the sensation aside for months, thought it was probably nothing. Then as time went on I consulted my GP. He advised me to gargle with aspirin despite my saying it wasnt causing pain or soreness. Then I started to think myself that it was maybe a psychological thing. It comes and goes, some days I don't feel it at all, some days it is quite pronounced. Sometimes I really worried, gargled with Listerine. Then I started linking it with days of particular stress or days of particular introspection. I have a stressful job. Last year I lost a close colleague, my mother,father, and my mother in law, all within 4 months. I have been quite ruminative since, more aware of my own mortality since these bereavements. I have thought about death and dying very frequently since. I am not a hypochondriacal person usually,never went to the GP. I was embarrassed when I went back this week and the GP diagnosed Globus Hystericus, I apologised for wasting his time. But at the time it was a very real sensation. As I said at the time, when it comes to lumps one shouldn't ignore them. When he showed me the globus site and all the stuff about stress and inordinate introspection came up I just thought 'bingo'. He has referred me to ENT but I haven't been troubled by the lump since. I still feel embarassed, but felt I needed to send this for others to gain reassurance. It might get rid of their lumps too!

[i:a9ef9dbfcf]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a9ef9dbfcf]

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Read the comment on these pages and readily accept the sort of feelings that are described as so close to mine. Have done the same as regards Docs but have ended up at Hospital,camera down throat and x-rays, with them telling me there is nothing physical wrong,though,somehow,still here doubting it as still have symptoms of ball in throat and stiffish neck. But hopeful now read what I have here!!

And yes,I do feel like a pratt,almost a hypochondriac but it feels real,whatever they say!!! ball ball go away....dont come back ever!! :D

[i:3c8226d12f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3c8226d12f]

• Posted

I have spent the last two months trying to learn as much as I can about my symptoms and am always comforted by comments from other sufferers, It reassures me that what I have is real and not just 'in my head' pardon the play on words!! I have had a difficult year on top of a couple of other bad years..lost a partner and suffered depression (recovered from that) helped a young daughter through a dreadful illness and then lost my dear mother who had been such a support. I initially thought it must be a growth in my throat and feared the worst. My GP suggested Globus and has arranged an ENT check. I have had an Xray and blood tests. My symptoms are not as bad first thing in the morning, but by the end of the day I feel as though I am being strangled and quite dizzy. The tension in my neck is awful. I have been to an osteopath an tried massage. I just pray that the lump and suffocating feeling will go away like yours did. I live in hope!!

[i:28173830ad]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:28173830ad]

• Posted

i have suffered from this sensation in the throat now known to me as globus hystricus, have been sufferin form it fo 8mths now and still hanging on in there , hoping that one morning i'll wake up and it would have beeen a bad dream. have had all the tests done so i am reassured that it's not major:roll:

[i:6ccfc0369f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6ccfc0369f]

• Posted

How glad am I to have found this site. I can relate almost to everything everyone has said. It took me weeks to see the doctor (rarely go). She was engaging in the normal chit chat which she normally does when you first enter and I just blurted it out. I was so worried it was cancer of the oesophegus (is that how it is spelt?). She said about eating and drinking and I said it was not a problem etc etc. Anyway, she gave me some tablets for indigestion - don't know whether they have made a difference. I am due to go back within the next few days. I am terrified she will recommend an endoscopy but I suppose I will have to go with what she says.

One thing I didn't make a connection with is a stiff neck, mentioned by Jo. I often get that.

I also groaned when I saw the word "hystericus" which obviously suggests "in the mind". I am quite a worrier, but obviously it is a vicious circle, I am worried about the condition.

When I saw Dorothy's comment that she has suffered from it for 8 months, my heart sank.

Anyway, thanks again. Like visiting the doctor, it took me weeks to look it up on the internet, although the doctor did say I would not read anything too terrifying!

Will visit the site again soon to see if there is any more info and report back on the doctor's visit. Thanks again, Kaz

[i:71000ce26c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:71000ce26c]

• Posted

Hi. It's good to read about others. I'm afraid many won't like this but I've had it for 7 YEARS. But, I guess I'm quite lucky because it doesn't interfere with my life. The CFS/ME that came at the same time, however, DOES. But the lump in the throat is really just a signal to me that I have emotional stuff that isn't being dealt with properly. I haven't figured out how to do that, and so I think it's tied up with CFS/ME. I never feel like gagging though nor do I ever vomit: it just doesn't affect me that way. Thank goodness! In the past two weeks, however, it's gotten worse. My stress level has been unusually high the past two months, so I'm not surprised. Whenever it gets worse, it usually means I'm over exhausted, so I don't like that I seem to be over exhausted for so long and with no relief. Good luck to everyone. (I promise it's very easy to live with if you just treat it as normal!)

[i:ca0183bf73]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ca0183bf73]

• Posted

I am the person who posted the original comments as above initially. I am delighted to have helped others with this condition. I can confirm that I have still remained untroubled by 'the lump' as described in my original post, despite occasional emotional ruminations. I would advise that you consult your GP as I did, but be aware of my initial observations regarding possible reasons as above also.

[i:8d05833f40]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8d05833f40]

• Posted

I would be most grateful if you could take my second name 'mayers' off my entries.I have not found a way to do this and putting my second name on the entries was an error.

Many thanks.

[i:88492e482c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:88492e482c]

• Posted

Hi there, I have same symptoms as you. Did any of you ever discover that it was cancer?

[i:61256c66c8]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:61256c66c8]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.