I quit..

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I started the generic lexapro a couple nights ago, started taking it at night and it seemed to really mess me up... I quit last night. Didn't take it again. I took it twice and I couldn't sleep, I couldn't (still can't) eat, it increased my anxiety badly, made me dizzy, my thoughts were were and going super fast, headaches we're horrible last night after I stopped, and I felt really.. odd. I couldn't stand up without getting dizzy and sick to my stomach. I took it twice and it made me feel horrible, I'm still feeling terrible. I am cold, my feet are sweating, tired but can't sleep. Eh. Anyone else go through this?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Please be very careful about abruptly stopping your medication. It can and will be in worse for you if you do. Please consult your doctor before something terrible happens to you. I understand the side effects you are experiencing. Be careful and stay safe.
    • Posted

I asked my doctor and she said it's okay to quit, I only took 2 doses, 5 mg each.
  • Posted

sadly thats just medication, if you stick with it im sure itll get better, but personally i would never take meds such as these. they are intended for short term use, and often are prescribed far too long. best to look at therapy for the root cause of your problems, medication cant resolve issues
  • Posted

I was like that on Citalopram. I felt so sick I thought I was going to die. I even had hallucinations. Dr wouldn't believe me, which really helped. Not. He wanted me to push through it and continue to take it, but I couldn't look after my kids when all I could do was lay there retching and shake! Dr refused me any more meds as I wouldn't take what he wanted me to take he said I wasn't serious about wanting to get better, so I stopped seeing drs and fought it alone. Eventually I had to go back. Saw a different Dr who let me try amitryptaline. It's taking the edge off and lets me sleep.
    • Posted

It was a while ago but it was probably 10mg. Symptoms eased a bit by the next day and I was OK after a few days. Occasionally you can get phaser-like pains in your head after coming off medications like Citalopram, in which case see your doctor. http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/mobileart-rx.asp?articlekey=109669

This is a list of SSRI antidepressants and which neurotransmitters they affect. The ones I don't get on with do a different job to the ones I do get on with. Maybe worth a discussion with your doctor about it.

• Posted

I replied, but I included a link so it's gone to the moderator... I think I was on 10 mg, I felt a bit better by the next day and was OK a few days later. Amitryptaline is in the same class as Lexapro, an SSRI, but it affects slightly different neurotransmitters which my body seems to prefer. Ask your doctor about that, if there is anything that works slightly differently that you can try.
    • Posted

I was only on 5 mg for two days, I'm just all in all out of it. Last night I was so agitated that I wanted to throw my phone and break stuff. It was ridiculous. I can't do anything. Since I started and quit I have just been sitting in my living room. I need to get out and walk or something but its hard. It's hard to eat. It's like I have the flu but my minds going crazy. It could be a lot to do with my anxiety but dang.
    • Posted

As soon as it is out of your system you will start to feel better. Feeling this bad has possibly caused your underlying anxiety to be worse, which is why you still feel bad. Give yourself a couple of days of rest and stay away from stressors until you feel better. You don't need to worry too much unless you feel very unwell or have strong unusual physical symptoms, but if you are worried that you are unwell do see the doctor.
    • Posted

Well everything that I have felt so far I think is mostly my anxiety because it eventually fades away. My legs are still restless but I also haven't been eating or doing anything at all. I should probably go for a walk, or do something to get the built up energy out. I am super tired though. It sucks.
    • Posted

Try and eat something, hypoglycaemia can bring on anxiety. A nice walk might make you feel better too. Good luck, I have to go sort my kids out now :-)
    • Posted

I am trying to eat a bowl of cheerios and drink some cranberry-raspberry juice. I hope it helps! Thank you. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.