I quit hrt therapy in February Since then, I have occasional spotting. Is this abnormal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyway, I'm 65 and I'm scared. I've always been healthy. I quit the HRT because I started some bleeding. The doctor encouraged me to take extra progesterone but it didn't stop the bleeding. Now that I've quit, I have days where I have no spotting and other days when I do. Is this totally abnormal? I have an upcoming doctor's appointment but I'm very stressed.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have not had bleeding for 13 years , did have a period when I first went on HRT last year but came off for this reason. Currently only gone back on different one a week ago and GP said I might have spotting for first couple of months but will  stop. Got to go back for follow up in 2 months. 
    • Posted

Thanks for replying.!! It helps me know that our bodies can do strange and unexpected things especially when hormones are involved. I felt better on hormones. I'm hoping this isn't serious!

• Posted

Don’t worry I’m sure this Is not too serious. It does take a while to come out your system 
    • Posted

This week I'm having vaginal ultrasound and then a biopsy. If it's all good I'll try the hormones again. The doctor today didn't seem too concerned but gotta have the tests. Hope your follow up is good! Let me know.

• Posted

I finally got results back on biopsy. All was good. No cancer but I still have spotting. Very annoying. I wonder when it will end. The doctor doesn't seem to recommend anything. It puzzles me!

• Posted

Hi suzan, don't worry, this is perfectly normal. It will stop eventually.Been through this a few times myself.

• Posted

Thank you! I feel more confident knowing I'm not the only one! As of today, I have no bleeding at all but still may have the ultrasound. It's so stressful.!

• Posted

Don't worry, it will stop... the exact same thing happened to me when I stopped HRT.. it's  withdrawal bleeding and it can last a while.. the lining of the uterus comes away at different times as with a period. I promise you it will slow down,lessen and then stop. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.