I quit opanxapine two months ago ..

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I just joined this group. If I make any mistake please forgive me. I took olanzapine 2.5mg for two years and then the side effects were too much.

I became so lazy I stopped going out altogether. I just stayed home doing not thing all the time. I also gained so much weight so fast!! I threw out all of my clothes and I cried so much. 

So I started taking less and less eventually. after a very meticulous process of cutting it down, I finally managed to quit. It has been two months and two weeks now, but I still struggle with severe withdrawal symptoms. I thought they would be over by now but my immune system is just so weak now.  I guess my body is trying to survive without the olanzapine?! Also I have been having constant flu-like symptoms. They were so unbearable and I had so much pain all over my body.

then, last week I actually caught the flu. Now it’s really really horrible. My voice is gone, my throat hurts and even though I am taking cold medications, my sinus problem doesn’t seem to go away. I don’t know what is happening anymore. Anyway I’m also taking cipralex and clonazapam.. (I have schizoaffective disorder)  did anyone quit olanzapine? How long will this withdrawal last? Can anyone share their experiences with me? Thank you. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I read the posts here because my mom went because my mom was on Zyprexa.  Your struggles and could moments are very typical for this drug. 

There’s are many posts here by people trying to get off this drug. You have to taper down slowly.

• Posted

How long did you taper?It seems you reduced the pill too quick.If your withdrawal symptoms are unbearable, reinstate 2.5 mg .Use one month.Then cut the pill into four pieces.first month use 3 pieces.second month use 2 pieces.last month use 1 piece and then stop.
    • Posted

For 6 months or so. I tried more than several times before and nausea was too much, and that’s the main reason why I couldn’t quit then. But now I don’t feel any nausea and I sleep fine at night. Also muscle pain is much less painful than my previous attempts to quit. I’m pretty sure there will be always withdrawal no matter how you quit. Olanzapine is a very strong drug.  So this is the most bearable condition for me. I’m just wondering when this flu-like symptoms will be over. I used pill cutter to cut evenly and very gradually for months.  I’m very happy I’m free from this drug. Even though withdrawal is annoying, i feel so much better than when I was on this horrible drug. 
  • Posted

Hello

I know full well what you are experiencing from stopping Olanzepine I also put a post up asking how long withdrawal symptoms persist but didn't get any replies

I gave up cold turkey which caused my mind and body great turmoil I stuck it out but ever since I continue to feel unwell often feeling fluey and my sleep has been seriously disturbed I help myself by engaging in lots of physical exercise eating healthy and taking quality supplements

It's such a bad drug and really altered me as a person but I'm now so much happier/alive :-)

Take good care of yourself!

• Posted

Thank you so much! Even if I have to live with this symptoms for longer than I expected I will never take this drug again. I think my immune system is very weak ever since I quit olanzapine. I caught cold more than twice during this winter and I got this flu.. when I didn’t have flu it was easier.. but now with the flu and the withdrawal symptoms together are really annoying. I can’t go anywhere and even cold meds don’t really work. My doctor has no idea! Anyway I am still happy I’m free of this drug. I will keep my hopes alive. Thank you and best of luck to you !!! 
    • Posted

Glad to hear you are off this drug karogers!  Please keep us posted with your progress.  It gives people like me hope and inspiration.  
  • Posted

Hello mnm22  I have been on Olanzapine 5mg for  11 years  and have tried to withdraw as it has caused me a stroke,   water retention (I have to cathertise) loss of mobility  I tried very hard to come off this drug over the last 12 weeks but have had to start taking the 5mg olanzapine  again I am now suffering horrendous panic attacks several times a day  I cannot sleep at night  and feel immense stress I am now under the mental health team  who are assessing me after I had seen 3 different doctors each giving me contraditionary advice  Sorry to be so negative but this is how I feel a mental and physical wreck  sending you best wishes from Margaret
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that Margaret. You are not being negative just realistic. I know what you mean my doctor has no idea either. He once suggested I should take more of it, even thought I repeatedly told him that I can’t stand it. It feels as if the doctors seem so irresponsible putting patients on such monstrous drug when they don’t even know how it can effect people let alone help their patients overcome to quit. Anyway I wish you the best and please stay strong!! 
    • Posted

I switched my mom to Latuda cold turkey, though they took her off the Zyprexa in the hospital. Then put her back on zyprexa, then stitched her to Latuda. She wound up in hospital because she had diabetic ketoacidosis and then off meds, while on hospital she had cardiac arrest. Dhe was also having mini strokes. Difficulty peeing, or as I say, bladder of steel for a year and a half after going off. Constant kidney infections. 

Dhe was so messed up it’s hard to know what’s what. But when she went off the Latuda, she got severe again and was hospitalized several times. Not sure if it was related. Not sure if the Latuda helped wean her off.  Anyone else find any drugs to take to wean off?

• Posted

I actually took Latuda when I first tried to quit olanzapine cold turkey. In my case I was experiencing so much withdrawal symptoms from olanzapine severe nausea, migraine and etc,, I didn’t feel any comfort from Latuda. 
    • Posted

Ok, glad to hear someone else has tried it. My mother was so out of her head, she really wasn’t even able to tell anyone what she was feeling. Now two years later, she’s doing better, but still can’t tell me when there’s something wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.