I quitted gabapentin 40 days before I was using it 2.5 years

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I was using it 2.5 years I tapered off and 40 days ago quitted. I am living some problems and cant understand it is related to gabapentin withdrawal or not.

When I read some texts, I hardly understand what they are talking about. I cant understand. this is my problem. any body experienced something like that ?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

• I speak hardly some times not fluent these are syptoms of gabapentin withdrawal ?
  • Posted

Decreasing gabapentin and stopping it too quickly can cause very serious side effects during the withdrawal. You said you tapered, but the safest way to do it is by 10% or less over 4 weeks or more. That means, if you were on 1600 mgs a day, 500, 500 and 600 capsules, every day, you should drop by 150 mg PER DAY. That's not possible, so just dropping 100 mg every day for four weeks or longer will cause the fewest side effects. I've taken over two years to drop from 2700 mg/day down to 500 mg per day.

You can read online all the problems you can have such as: seizures, trouble walking, memory loss, nausea, diarrhea, insomnia, rage, panic, severe depression and many, many other things. If you're off the gab now, as you say, the only thing you can do is wait it out. Taking any other drugs may make the withdrawal better. Rest, eat healthy and take care of yourself. I'm sorry you're going thru this.

• Posted

thanks. I slowly tapered off it. I didnt feel much bad but my tinnitus is making everything bad. I drink mellisa tea it helps for sleep but tinnitus and not working brain is problem

• Posted

Some people seem to have more physical problems, others like you and me have more psychological problems. The memory problems, both short and long-term memory are very upsetting. Sometimes it's so frustrating I almost want to cry. And I'm a woman who used to cry about once every 5 years! On this darn drug, it can happen easily. For me, my withdrawal has these main symptoms: increased pain, fatigue, confusion, memory loss, and crying easily. In the bad parts of the taper, I'll take a two hour nap, I just can't stay awake. Before being on the drug, the only nap I'd take would be about once every 7 years when I was REALLY sick.

Yes, this drug and the changes it puts us through makes it a struggle. Take care of yourself, it will get better. I write lots of notes and try to let things go.

• Posted

That was sweet, but I know I will get better, it just takes time. Right now I'd doing very well, but the problems I get from my last taper 4 days ago will show up soon. And then I'll just wait it out, like we all do. Just like you. There are MANY thousands of us, all around the world dealing with this.

• Posted

HOPE you are better. I have been on gabepentin for 2 years. I just realized 2 mths ago that my muscle weakness is the drug as it was getting worse . Thought i had MD also double vision, worse nerve pain in my entire spine. Hot skin at night. It is a terrible drug. NO doctors will admit it. I have had 4 mris 2 emgs. Nothing shows except mild neck stenosis. The drug caused fatigue, I was never tired. Gained 30 lbs of fluid. MY doctor said i was imaging all of this. My new doctor is trying to get me off it. I have barely left the house in 2 years as i live in a small town with no good medical support.

• Posted

First of all, I'm sorry you are having side effects from your GABAPENTIN withdrawal, but as others have said, maybe you've done the taper too quickly? I've just finished (2 weeks ago) an 11-month taper from 900mg a day to zero.

I'm still suffering severe depression, anxiety, insomnia, brain fog, suicidal thoughts, itchy skin, loss of memory, fatigue, etc., all of which started during withdrawal from this drug.

I can only encourage you to go SLOWLY in your withdrawal. From posts on here, it seems these side effects can be ongoing for a long time, even after you're off this horrible drug.

My GP even offered to put me back on Gabapentin to relieve my side effects!! HEAVEN FORBID! Won't ever do that! I'm just going to wait it out. Anyone out there have any positive testimonies about timeframe for side effects to dissipate??

• Posted

Hello ozkan10991

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Thank you Moderator or bot, whoever you are. Ozkan, I hope you sought some help. MANY of us on this drug also had suicidal thoughts, but they pass! We got help, reached out to others, and it DOES get better. Honest.

• Posted

No Ozkan, I have not personally had tinnitus. But I'm in a different, large gab support group and it's been mentioned by several other people. It seems to be very nerve-wracking. That's one of the good things about groups like this, you can hear of problems others have had, and even if they don't have all the answers, I truly believe it helps to know you're not alone.

The range of bizarre things that happen to us because of this medication seems endless. One day, we realized many of us started talking to ourselves! That side effect only lasted a few days for me, but crops up every so often. Others have horrific nightmares, jerkiness in their movements, severe edema (swelling). One thing we all have in common, we wish we'd never taken the drug. Also, that our doctors could help us deal with it, as many of them seem to think it's no worse than an aspirin.

• Posted

can u point me in the direction of said gabapentin support group please???

• Posted

I responded to your PM. Let me know if you have problems finding it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.