I really don't know what to do, help needed

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi,

I'm desperate for any sort of help and advise.

I've had a tickle in my throat for over another now and I finally started getting burning at the back of my throat along with coughing only after meals. my voice was becoming horse in the evening with a lot of throat clearing. I am waking up with a dry mouth. so I finally went to the dr and she mentioned gord/gerd. she's put me on 20mg a day for minimum a month, along with diet changes...the burning is still there and doesn't stop. i have been taking 20 mg at night too since the last week hoping I get relief. I've been following the diet changes but last night I ate a normal meal as I'm not eating much any more and needed it. now I'm regretting it, a lot. my symptoms have become worse to the point where I was trying to drink water and it hurt between my breast bone as it went down ever so slowly. my stomach hurt after drinking. I feel like crying because water shouldn't hurt and now I'm scared to eat anything.

I'm not sure what to do, do I go see the dr again, and asked to be seen by g.i or is it too early. I don't want run to dr and the dr thinking I'm a hypochondriac but I'm the type of person who wants things to be on top of things.

is there anyone who can give me some advice as to what to expect in the coming months if this persists and what can I do to get through this.

thank you 😢

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hello. Sorry to hear you are suffering so much. I'm afraid i dont have any answers (I am still looking for answers myself) but i know it helps to talk about it - just so you dont feel so alone (its SO hard to express to none suffers how completely overwhelming it can be.

I've still not got a diagnosis (despite having a clear upper endoscopy and a ultrasound scan) but have heartburn and a constant feeling of pressure behind the chest and constant burping irrespective of what i eat or drink. I found the only reduction in symptoms was to stick with quite a hardcore diet (and i think i need to do more because i still have symptoms). So, i had to cut out ALL liquids except water - and this made the biggest difference. As well as cutting out all the normal culprits I also cannot have leeks, most sweet things, nuts, pastry, dried fruit etc. i have been on three types of PPI and although they have had an affect on the heartburn, they have had no effect on the other symptoms.

I think its worth going back to your GP. I have found that although GPs have been very nice and supportive, they don't always understand the complexities of this condition on individuals (essentially we need bespoke treatment because everyone has different triggers). We also really have to chase to get a diagnosis because the GI system is so complicated.

I also think reducing stress can help. but that's really hard because pain causes anxiety. Perhaps this is also something you could talk to your doctor about?

Anyway. i just wanted to wish you well. You are not alone x

• Posted

thank you for your advice I really appreciate it. I will make an appointment next week and see what the dr says. she did ask me to call back in once I finish my one month course for omerazole and let her know how I feel.

how long have you suffered with this? sorry if I'm asking too much x

• Posted

not too much at all. I think people on this forum are happy to share their experiences! Mine has been going on for 5 months now. It was a lot worse before the endoscopy because I'd managed to convince myself that i was really ill. i think that probably illustrates how important it is to try and de-stress (easier said that done!). I just spoke to my GP and i have been referred back to a gatro expert and potentially a barium swallow because she has run out of options (I think GPs only have PPIs and H2 blockers as available medicines!).

It may be worth asking for an endoscopy because it would help to know if you have a hernia. the treatment may be the same but you have something to work on x

• Posted

I can see what you mean by stress, this has been stressing me out a lot and I can tell its adding to everything and making me feel 10 times worse. I've been taking time to distract myself as much as possible by keeping busy.

I hope you get some answers soon. it seems like it's very hard to get a diagnosis with gerd and a lot of people are just kept hanging because symptoms don't match the test results which is a bit messed up. keeping you in my prayers x x x

• Posted

hello. Sorry to hear you are suffering so much. I'm afraid i dont have any answers (I am still looking for answers myself) but i know it helps to talk about it - just so you dont feel so alone (its SO hard to express to none suffers how completely overwhelming it can be.

I've still not got a diagnosis (despite having a clear upper endoscopy and a ultrasound scan) but have heartburn and a constant feeling of pressure behind the chest and constant burping irrespective of what i eat or drink. I found the only reduction in symptoms was to stick with quite a hardcore diet (and i think i need to do more because i still have symptoms). So, i had to cut out ALL liquids except water - and this made the biggest difference. As well as cutting out all the normal culprits I also cannot have leeks, most sweet things, nuts, pastry, dried fruit etc. i have been on three types of PPI and although they have had an affect on the heartburn, they have had no effect on the other symptoms.

I think its worth going back to your GP. I have found that although GPs have been very nice and supportive, they don't always understand the complexities of this condition on individuals (essentially we need bespoke treatment because everyone has different triggers). We also really have to chase to get a diagnosis because the GI system is so complicated.

I also think reducing stress can help. but that's really hard because pain causes anxiety. Perhaps this is also something you could talk to your doctor about?

Anyway. i just wanted to wish you well. You are not alone x

• Posted

I would definitely see the GP again, it may be that upping your medication helps as I've seen people mention they take 40mg or more. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

hi, thank you for the advice, I will be making an over the phone consultation as requested by the gp and mention if they can upper my dosage at all

I could swallow my multivitamin tablet I take now and again. it was lodged in my upper throat area n only dislodged after taking a few big gulps of water 😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.