I really hope that it is not cancer

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a male, 41 years old. I had weak pain/discomfort in the bottom right abdomen, GP asked me to do CT scan that found some prostate calcination. GP said I should not worry about it, but just in case asked to do PSA test.

Result of the test was 3.7. According to the doctor it is just a little elevated, but no reason to worry right now. He asked to do PHI blood test in about a month.

Meanwhile I did a colonoscopy. No relation with PSA issue, but I asked the surgeon to check prostate in addition to what he was going to do. As a result he added these lines to the report:

"At Vasia's request (PSA 3.7) - The R prostatic lobe felt a little firmer than the left."

"Review with GP regarding PSA & prostate"

Other notes:

1. Ejaculation before PSA test. Possible several hours before, certainly a day before. Don't remember. Doctor did not warn me. And I read the details about the test when I started panicking about results.

2. Exercises day before the test. Not too much but quick walk/almost run for one hour. Same as above.

3. I had "Massive Grade III Haemorroids" (which were removed today - I am in a hospital at the moment recovering from the surgery, but they were there at the day of the PSA test). There is a message "I had Haemmoroids and a Haemmoroidectomy and my PSA dropped from 10 to 6 following the operation" by Supertractorman at this forum.

4. I also have as long as I remember myself the following: "dribbling after urination, excessive urination at night, frequent urination and weak urinary stream" they do not bother me and I found out that they are symptoms of BPH (as well as about BPH itself) just today.

Any suggestions/recommendations/ideas where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Probably the most obvious, wait for a month, prepare well (no sex, no sport before the test), not to panic until the test and to do PSA test.

Anything else?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

1. With regards to pain in the abdomen area, you need a CT KUB (Kidneys Ureter and Bladder) and most probably an ultrasound KUB;
    2. Depending on what they find in (1) above, you'll need to see a urologist about treatment for BPH. This may involve a cystosocopy and flow test;
    3. Do the PSA test say one month after the first time and do it in the same lab as the first time; and
    4. Your symptoms are not those of prostate cancer.
    • Posted

1-3:

good

4:

I am not a doctor, but seems I only don't have these from the list at your article:

Urgency. You may have to get to the toilet quickly.

Poor emptying. You may have a feeling of not quite emptying your bladder.

😦

• Posted

Urgency and incomplete "voiding" (i.e. emptying) can be due to a few reasons.

Before you go to your doctor again, I suggest you keep a diary for say 2 days, noting down

The time when you pee

How much you pee (use a measuring container)

When you drink, what you drink and how much you drink (again with a measuring container).

This will help either the GOP or urologist to arrive at a diagnosis quicker.

It is called a 24 hr urine log/test and it doesn't matter what time of day you start it.

Good luck to you!

• Edited

an update: after

1. stopping all my vitamins and supplements (seems some might increase and some might decrease psa)
    2. haemorrhoidectomy (no idea if it affected. after the procedure i stopped all medicines at least two week before the test)
    3. no sex for 1 week before new test
    4. did not eat several hours before the test (gp did not tell, but I read some articles that constipation or diarrhea can affect the result, so just in case in order not to have surprise right before the test)

test was done in the same laboratory. the only difference it was done in the afternoon (first one was in the morning). I am not sure if it affects the result.

anyway, instead of 3.7 it becomes 2.1.

gp now suspects mild bph and asked to do ultrasound scan of the prostate and bladder.

any comments?

I guess most obvious thing to do is to treat bph and repeat psa test in half a year?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.