i really need some urgent help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I take lithium and also now thyroxine. Both drugs only in the last 3months. I ve now developed twice a problem where my stomach balloons and i look 8 months pregnant...absolutely no dramatisation there. Been to a&e as last happened saturday. Went to bed ok and then woke feeling really uncomfy and in pain then the swelling was there. Its not water retention they scanned me last time but never answered the question whats going on. Any ideas???

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, that sounds horrible. I have also had episodes of this (and like you,looked at least 8 months pregnant without exaggeration) the only thing that I've discovered is being gluten intolerant.  I also have Underactive thyroid and have had a number of stomach issues over the years. Bloating is the worst. Nothing at all works once I'm like that unfortunately, so I just try to prevent it in the 1st place, by being gluten free (as much as I can anyway!) and taking colpermin capsules before meals. Hope this may be of some help!! 
    • Posted

thanks very much ....im on levothyroxine already and seeing doc today gonna exclude gaeni issues and then definately explore the gluten intolerance. I have had this twice now in feb and now april so just want to get to the bottom of it. At least my hubbys stopped panicking lol though looking at mothercare site certainly makes him sweat. Got to get my kicks where I can x
  • Posted

Yeah, it def makes you panic!!!! be had people actually ask me how many months I am!! I had to rule out Gyne issues too as they can cause a lot of those symptoms also. If all ok there, then it's worth looking into the gluten thing. I started Levothyroxine at the same time as going gluten free (although have to admit I'm now not so strict but just have to suffer the consequences!!) it did make a world off ifference. Good luck to you then, I know how frustrating it all is! xxx
    • Posted

caroline did dietician say then that it was gluten?? im having bloods for caeliac disease(hope spelt that right). Am at my wits end nothing fits and off on holiday in may. Have ballooned up to a size 20
  • Posted

I have same problem. My tsh, t4 and t3 is normal. But my blood pressure is very high.

i met with an endo who arranged a blood work for basic metabolic panel, aldosterone - serum, renin activity plasma. Meanwhile the result is not out. But  I was told to ensure my vitamin d, b12, iron and folate are at optimal level. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Michelle, it was a Gastroenterologist who advised gluten free. Although I' not coeliac, I seem to be intolererant to it. My bloating was also horrendous and uncomfy I would have to wear my sisters maternity clothes sometimes just to be comfy!! I would say gluten free and taking Domperidone tablets from the GP helped immensely. Even if your results show you are not coeliac, it worth a try. Good luck!! cxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.