I recently had a cryoablation for PAF and continue to have episodes

Posted , 5 users are following.

my history is that afib was diagnosed 12/29/16. I was prescribed four medications and none controlled the condition. About three weeks ago I had a cryoablation. I have had several episodes since that time which I think is to be expected. I am askin others who have had this procedure when to expect cessation of episodes (if at all!) I was instructed to continue amiodarone until my 30 day checkup. Does alanine have experience to share? Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had my cryo ablation  five months ago.  Since I have no symptoms of a fib, I have no idea when I am having a problem unless I catch it on a blood pressure reading. A halter monitor worn for 24 hours  indicated some improvement but not 100%. I am scheduled to wear an event monitor for one month that will actually send messages back to my doctor when I go into a fib. That should tell me the true success rate of my surgery.

initially,  I was on metoprolol,  Propafone and   Pradaxa. Because of my age and gender, I will be on Pradaxa for the rest of my life. However I have been able to get off for Propafone completely  and lower my doses of meta-propyl all too very little work. I hope to get off that completely very shortly. In summary, at least I am able to stop taking all the meds except Pradaxa, and that was my main reason for the surgery.  

• Posted

Thank you for this information. My main reasons for having this procedure is to stop taking Amiodarone and, hopefully, Eliquis (blood thinner). From your experience I see that this could be a lengthy process! My main issue is I want the afib under control. I do have symptoms when it occurs. 
  • Posted

I didn't have a cryo but a standard ablation july11. Was diagnosed in .february. I have worn a monitor for 2 weeks and all that has shown or that I have felt are occasional" flip/ flops. I was told 3 months is the expected time to know if things have worked as they expect. It is only 75-80 percent success rate. I believe cryo is the same. It has been 6 weeks and I am to continue on my meds till my 3 months is up and

Then wear another monitor for confirmation before stopping meds. I am 69, so the blood

Thinner will likely be continued anyway.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. I may be expecting too much, too soon! I was told that at 1 month from surgery that I could possibly stop the Amiodarone and after 3 months possibly stop the Eliquis. I was also warned this procedure was not a "sure thing." My meds that they tried were certainly not a sure thing either. I just want to get back to as normal as possible. Thanks again!

• Posted

I had a cryo in dec 2015, 80% successful. Had another burn one in may 2016, where doc thought he had nailed it. Still get episodes, but have to say, they are different. Not as severe usually, that is not 23hrs, just down to 7 or 8!! and I can seem better able to id the trigger - usually fatigue at present. I only take Xeralto 20mg once a day, nothing else. I go back to doc end of sept. Im hoping to stay episode free until then, but based on situation so far, if im being honest,my optimism is wavering. So far, 3 weeks n three days is my longest episode free. Got everything crossed in hope!!
    • Posted

After reading your reply I think I should be thankful that I am doing as well as I am! My goal is to get back to normal. I might have to accept that I will have a "new normal."  I should know by my third month checkup just how successful this procedure was. I sure haven't identified my trigger yet. I do have episodes during activity but I also have them when I am sitting around doing nothing! I appreciate the information you shared. It helps to know what other people are experiencing. Thanks! I hope your optimism can stay unwavering! 

• Posted

Thanks!! Lol. Oh yes!! Toblerone, cola and most recently, croissants have set me off!! All junk really.......body might be giving me a clue there!! 😜

• Posted

A little "junk" makes life better! I think I had too much in my younger days! Still love it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.