I recently had a vaginal hysterectomy, anterior posterior repair, bladder suspension and rectocele r

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

i recently had a vaginal hysterectomy, rectocele repair, bladder suspension, and anterior-posterior repair. I am 2 weeks 2 days post op. I had a foley catheter for a few days afterwards which was not as terrible as I thought it would be. I have experienced lower pelvic pressure rather than outright pain. I was told no sex for 6 to 8 weeks. I have had orgasms since the end of week 2 postop and they have been so wonderful. My doctor said no sex but did not mention orgasms. I have found my orgasms are pretty intense and that is through nipple stimulation and just touching anything but operative site (in and around my vagina and rectal area). Before this operation, I was not aware I could have an orgasm just with nipple stimulation.

Just as a side note, I had a urinary tract infection after foley came out. I had a reaction to the antibiotic and needed treatment for that and than developed a yeast infection. This occurred within the first week after surgery. Everything was addressed and treated and by the end of the first week I was infection free. I was shocked about how long it has taken me to recover my stamina postop. I am taking 6 weeks off before I return to work. Thank goodness. Today, I am walked 8 blocks and went grocery shopping without tremendous lower pelvic pressure where I need to lay down and put my feet up.

As far as having orgasms, I have been having them every night and it makes me feel really good about myself. I know there is increased blood flow to the operative region during orgasm so I would think this would help healing. Plus I am happy and this should also have a positive effect on wound healing. As far as doing damage to suture lines, all I can say is I have had no increase in discomfort and no vaginal drainage beyond what is normal. I am a nurse and have also wondered about the safety of orgasms.

I just had a conversation with a friend who had a lengthy laparoscopic hysterectomy and she said NO sex means NO penetration.

Hmmmmm. I plan to ask my doctor or her nurse this question Monday though I am enjoying orgasms and will be using a vibrator tonight. But no penetration. I am no where ready for that anyway.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am contemplating having this procedure but I am 56 years old and postmenopausal. Not sure how I will heal. How old are you may I ask?? Sounds like you are healing well.

• Posted

I had a pessary for 3 years and my bladder and uterus prolapse was getting worse along with urinary incontinence and constant bladder infections. I work very long hours in an operating room. I am slim. I never smoked. I had one pregnancy with a normal sized baby. I started swimming because even aerobic exercise in gym class was becoming a problem. I have changed jobs with less hours and less physical labor. I start back to work at my new job 6 weeks postop. And I think I will be ready.

As far as orgasms go I plan to call my surgeon tomorrow. I have had a number of nights where my husband and I engaged in hot and heavy foreplay and it made me feel less uncomfortable with the pelvic pressure. But to be honest, I hope I have not done anything harmful. I think those hormones released with an orgasm promote healing. I can only go by how I feel.....but I will let you know what my surgeon says.

And I had a rectocele repair also. A bowel movement was difficult but nearly impossible with the pessary in.

For me, I could not go on living with the pessary. I knew all the risks with the surgery and decided wholwheartedly to proceed.

• Posted

Wow!!Good for you. Good luck. Prayers for complete healing 🙏🙏🙏🙏❤

• Posted

hi Mary

I was not even remotely interested in touching any area near my vagina nevermind a clitorus orgasm lol.

I was so over paranoid even going for a poo that I'd infect my vagina so I used andrex wipes everytime.

I cant comment on yiur situation regarding orgasm and penitration but my proff consultant told me absolutely no sex or oral sex etc till everything has healed.

I agree with the blood flow to area but I'd be afraid the contractions would aggravate the healing tissue internally.

with regards shopping,light activities I refused to do anything but rest and light walks for 6 weeks and even now 18 mths on I will not lift heavy things as after our uterus is removed we must strength the pelvic floor to prevent vault prolapse and other ones too.

I recovered very well with very little pain although I didn't have back wall done this op does require a lot of patience and common sense which I'm sure being a nurse yiu know but remember we have 1 chance of healing and many more chances to return to normal if we are patient.

good luck Mary.

• Posted

good luck Mary.. it's a rough deal for us women after childbirth.

I'm sure the pain is just doing a little too much or may be on feet a bit more than you should.

yiu will get better and not regret a thing.

• Posted

I just spoke to my surgeon. she says having an orgasm is fine but no penetration and no fingers or tongue around area of surgery

to prevent infection. But having an orgasm is fine. I asked her if having an orgasm will break sutures or cause problems where surgery took place and she said no it won't! Now I am relieved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.