I record my blood pressure readings taken twice a day,

Posted , 5 users are following.

first thing in the morning and during the evening. I take 3 readings rughly 1 min apart. There is usually a vast difference between the first and the second or third reading. Which is the best thing to do: use all 3 as an average and use that average with others taken over a week. OR just take the lowest reading of 3 and use that over a week.  I've had conflicting advice from 2 drs and need to know which to do before going for my 6 month Losartan review next month. I dare not rely on the surgery reading as I know it will be sky high!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Oh Jane you sound just like me with having sky high readings at the surgery! I'm also on Losartan.  I am under a renal consultant for my blood pressure due to having only one kidney which has been low-functoning for a few years.  He has asked me to take 3 readings, one after the other (once a day) on a couple of days of the week, recording the average of the second and third readings each day to give to him at my next appointment.
  • Posted

Did you not get a manual with the monitor?

Most say to take three readings with at least three minutes apart and use the average. One hospital I went to attached a monitor to me and sat me in the corridor. It went off every three minutes. The readings varied a lot but they took the lowest of fifteen as being my BP and said that it was fairly well controlled. I disagreed.

• Posted

I do mine after breakfast and take three. They all vary widely from reading to reading and day to day. I rcord all the readings in a book with the date and take them with me to the surgery as mine too go sky high down there, but by breathing deeply and slowly it does make a difference. Good luck

• Posted

Taking the average of either 2 or 3 readings would be good, since the difference between doing 2 or 3 would probably be just a couple points and would give the doctor a good idea what is going on with you.

When you do your readings, do you sit quietly for a few moments prior to taking it? Actually doing some mental relaxation and slow deep breathing to the count of 4 both breathing in and breathing out REALLY helps. If you're nervous about taking a reading, tell yourself "It'll be ok" and believe it. It also helps to do that during the day just to relieve any stress you may be feeling. You'd be surprised how much it helps! Also, eat a type of food that relaxes your arteries - like celery. Make a habit to nibble on a couple cut up stalks once a day. That helps also along with your medicine.

• Posted

The advice for getting your BP checked at the doctors surgery is to get there fifteen minutes early so that you are relaxed when going in to see him to have your BP taken.
    • Posted

The advice for getting your BP checked at the doctors surgery is to get there fifteen minutes early so that you are relaxed when going in to see him to have your BP taken.

Oh if only, Derek - the longer I sit in the waiting room the higher my BP goes!

Luby2's advice for relaxation works for me at home but no way in the surgery! 

• Posted

It doesn't work for me either! I check it 20 minutes later when I get home and it has dropped by 50.
    • Posted

Ha Ha! As you say - if only!!  Early on and  shortly after diagnosis with hypertension I arrived 15 mins early and sat in the car listening to Beethoven's Pastoral which should have made the BP drop - huh! It went over 200. So much for Beethoven!!
    • Posted

After having 24 hour BP monitoring they tell me that my blood pressure is well controlled at an average of around 143/78. That means nothing when I have massive highs even at home 210/110 etc but then drops to say 97/57.

• Posted

I have to say I don't get highs like that but I do get lows similar to yours occasionally.  Surprised they say it's well controlled at 143/78, my dr said she wanted it below 135/80. [I think it was 80].  How long have you had hypertension, how old are you and what do you take for it. I think you've said somewhere what you take but remind me.  Have you just had a 24 hr monitor or was that when they diagnosed it? Presumably not at diagnosis or your dr wouldn't have said it was well controlled. I just wonder whether to ask for another 24 hr monitor as its 15 months since I was diagnosed, is that in order do you think. The reason being that I sometimes wonder if I am over medicated.  Sorry to seem nosy but it really is interesting to know how others are treated.
    • Posted

Hospital say one thing about it, doctor and practice nurse say another..

I've had hypertension since 2000. Suddenly, I did not have it when twice checked the year before. I am now 79.

I have had a 24 hour monitor several times, particularly in the past three years. Probably twice a year prior to and since my aortic heart valve replacement in 2012.

I started off with Atenolol and Amlodipine, then Lisinopril. Then Securon with Enalapril laer added. Enalapril stopped and relaced with Losartan.. Losartan later replaced by Irbesartan...Ramipril.. Perindopril and back to Losartan. Also various diuretics during that time. 

A mixtutre of other drugs since my AVR in 2012 but just Losartan for my BP.

Finally got referred to a hypertension referral centre this month who are doing various tests to look for an underlying cause. I have always believed that there is a reason for it.

• Posted

Gosh what a lot of pills, I haven't heard of half of them! Interesting to hear how many 24 hr monitors you have had. i only ever had the one and it was rather a nightmare.

• Posted

One GP many years ago suggested that as meds did not have much effect to stop them for a month to see what happened. It stayed around 168/?? for about three weeks.

It actually took years to get my first 24 hour monitor. I'm not sure how true the figures are as I tend to have very disturbed sleep when wearing it. I usually try to be as )over) active as possible when wearing one.

One last year was the opposite as I injured my knee they day before and hardly moved around when wearing it. I protested that the average of 137/74 was a waste of time. 

Last month my home reading had a high of 209/112. A low of 114/59 with an average of 163/80 46 over the month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.