I refute the idea that this procedure is painless. This ...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I refute the idea that this procedure is painless. This procedure was carried out on me and I suffered severe pain and was also held down on the table by nursign staff so that the practitioner could finish the procedure.sad

[i:595372f435]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:595372f435]

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes I agree with you, went in for colonoscopy 2 days ago, completely terrified prior to going in although consultant and staff were excellent, gave me the drugs and started the procedure but could not continue as I was in so much pain, they said the only option now is for me to have another barium enema or CT scan. Have looked into going private because of waiting times.

My problem has been ongoing for over 2 years now, extreme ballooning in one particular place in lower right of abdomen of course more noticable when laid down in bed, but can feel it most of the time, sometimes a pulling sensation and dragging dull ache which can extend down my leg and to my back, nobody seems to know what it is unless IBS. Have had barium enema which showed I may have polyps which they wanted to remove when performing colonoscopy. Have had ultrasound and everything normal apparently, anybody any clues?

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy yesterday. The laxative, although it tasted vile wasn't as bad as I was expecting and I drank plenty of water (Almost 3 litres the night before), which helped with the hunger pangs. I didn't feel nervous at all.

I went into the room was introduced to all and asked if i had any questions about the procedures. I was given the sedative and pethidine and slowly drifted. I remember the colonoscope being inserted and watching on a monitor thinking this is okay.

I drifted again but then was brought back to conciousness by an extreme abdo pain, I asked them to stop, which the endoscopist did. I more senior person was asked to assist and they tried again. Again I had abdo pain which increased the more they tried to push. It felt like it was hitting something solid. Turns out it was the first bend of the colon and I could not tolerate it. The procedure was abandoned. sad

The gastroscopy however went ahead without any major problems. The sedative worked and I vaguely remember trying to take it out of my mouth but someone got hold of my hand.

I was discharged with no adverse affects, the wind passed easily and my faculties intact! Results were also negative. :D

Any colonoscopies in the future will have to be under GA!

• Posted

My Gastro-enterologist nearly got kicked in the head!

I had had a gastroscopy four weeks earlier without sedation and I had no problems whatsoever.

The colonoscopy was entirely different.

They don't use pethidine for colonoscopy they use Midazolam, a hypnotic drug to cause conscious sedation. In my case, it had no effect whatsoever and I was in agony.

• Posted

I am just at home recovering from my colonoscopy this morning. I am quite shocked to read these posts because my procedure also had to be abandoned because I couldn't tolerate the exruciating pain. I now have to wait for my consultant to decide what to do next probably either barium enema or ct scan. The woman who went in after me must have experienced the same because I could hear her screaming. Why do they put people through this? From reading this website it is apparent that this is very common. I asked if the procedure is ever carried out under general anasthetic but didn't really get a straight answer. I can only assume that it isn't and that is probably due to cost !!

This really is an appalling situation for people who already have health worries to have to go through this barbaric treatment. I will in future refuse to have this procedure unless carried out under GA

Julie

• Posted

General anaesthesia has its own risks, much more than that of twilight sedation that's commonly used for colonoscopies. It also can't be done in an outpatient setting.

My colonoscopy from over a year ago didn't go so well. I was given demerol and Versed. Versed induces amnesia, but doctors call it a sedative. I think it's kind of obvious why it would be used. My memory of the procedure is lacking, but I do remember being awake and screaming at one point. The next day I woke up with bruises around my chest, arms and back. I think they had to hold me down. I don't hold that against them, but I am upset that they lied to me about what happened.

• Posted

Interesting to read various posts on this site.

Due to circumstances I need a colonscopy yearly. I am having my second next week. I found that the whole procedures was virtually painless, and that the bowel prep the day before was actually the worst bit - coupled with anxiety about the unknown of course...

The sedative does make the whole thing easier, and I guess that there are many aspects that make it more or less painful for various individuals.

To answer the question as to why a general anaesthetic is not used - you need to be awake to turn on your side etc to enable the scope to work its way around the intestine more easily.

For anyone facing their first time - especially women - it's like childbirth. Everyone has their own story to tell. I did not find it that bad, and as I face a lifetime of them yearly, I guess it's just as well!!!!

• Posted

Will they stop if you withdraw your consent?

When I signed the colonoscopy consent form I'm sure it said that I could withdraw my consent at any time. They gave me sedation but because the examination was so painful that I was writhing and crying out, I said for them to stop. Instead of stopping, the doctor continued to the very end and I can remember the nurses holding me down saying useless things like \"you're doing very well dear\" and \"nearly finished now\" while I struggled. Afterwards the doctor said that because I was sedated he had done it in my best interest but I think he should have stopped when I asked. I have seen on the internet some hospital information sheets that say \"minimal restraint may be appropriate during the procedure\" which in my case is a big understatement. Thankfully nothing was found. Never again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.