I saw my surgeon today...

Posted , 16 users are following.

He took one look at me and told me I was way too young for a TKR, but then he looked at my X-rays. I am now off work and waiting on the cancellation list. He told me that the damage to my knee is unbelievable.

He told me what to expect and said that the pain for two weeks post op is unbearable and that when he comes in the next morning to bend my knee that I will throw up from the pain because everyone does. Is it really as bad as he is saying? I'm so scared now😳

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I didn't throw up, and I drove back to Physio after two weeks, with my surgeons knowledge.

We are all different, and we all perceive pain differently.

I religiously did my excercises every day, and rested and iced.

The pain wasn't great, but no pain is. You are young and will recover well. Don't be terrified by reading some threads on here.

If you need the surgery you will cope with it, I did-- both knees, the second one was easier, I wasn't as worried.

• Posted

Hello Emma14089; I did not throw up. I think he is just trying to scare you. The pain is bad but I don't think it's that bad. Maybe someone else experienced throwing up but I did not. I am truly sorry he has told you this. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

• Posted

Hi emma

Is this guy for real i dont think he will ever win bedside manor of the year.

my surgeon explained to me what i was in for and yes he had me lifting and bending my leg the day

after surgery you should be given medication after

which will help you yes it is a tough road my doctor said the same to me when he saw my x rays and scans although im 58 my knee was in a bad way for years and now i feel 100% better

i wish you all the luck in the world and a speedy recovery.

• Posted

The pain is not unbearable . I didn't throw up . It was painful but not unbearable . I'm surprised your surgeon told you that it was . Mine were done 19½ and 17½ years ago , and I would imagine things have improved since then , better pain relief etc . Do youy physio as often as you can , moisturize your knee and scar . Control your pain don't wait until the pain gets severe before taking your medication .

• Posted

Hi Emma, your surgeon is so unprofessional, yes it is painful but everyone is different and you may not suffer as much as you think. Whatever the case just make sure you do exercises and rest and my Physio says don't push till it hurts as you can do more damage,listen to your body and you will know what to do. Take care I'm sure it will be worth it.

• Posted

I am in the US so things are different. But I will say that yes, the pain is brutal. Make sure you talk to your surgeon about pain management. The PT began the night of my surgery, walking down the hall. I did not throw up but I begged the therapist to let me go back to my room. I was discharged the next evening after two group PT sessions. Getting in my husbands car to go home took the flexibility of a trapeze artist, which I did not have. Barely able to move my leg, everyone was screaming at me to "bend your leg" and get in the car. I had my right knee done so I could not drive for almost nine weeks. I am happy to say that at five months I am pain free. I walk my 87 pound pup for two miles. Still stiff if I sit too long and when waking in the morning. Everyone here on the forum is rooting for you to have an easy recovery. We are honest and will tell it as it really is. Stay in touch.

Ellen

P.S. Did I scare the heck out of you?

• Posted

No! Thank you for replying! I'm actually more afraid of the throwing up as I have an unnecessary paranoia of it🤔

• Posted

Sorry to tell you this but after the evening meal after the op, I was as sick as a dog!  Just once though, then it was fine!  But I didn't get the post op pain - given the walker, and then the crutches, the physio told me I was the star of the ward as I went walkabout on the crutches.  I met him, at one point, coming in the opposite direction and he beamed at me - I think he was impressed I was out and about:-))))    Worst for me was the initial blood pressure suddenly dropping, but I'd had that after a previous op, so wasn't that surprised.  It was a nuisance for a couple of weeks or so though.

I might have the next one without sedation, just spinal, and that might make a difference to the sickness.  You could ask for an anti emetic though - they can cater for that:-)))))

• Posted

What???? What kind of Doctor is he? After surgery you will be on pain meds and therapy will begin immediately. He doesn't bend your leg only if and when you need manipulation well after surgery. Most people heal just fine. I had scar tissue and needed manipulation but I am in the minority. You need to talk with a knowledgeable surgeon. I never heard a story like this. There is no need to scare you. This guy sounds like a quack. Get another opinion

• Posted

Im sorry u were hit so hard on info but I am chuckling. When i first got on this site all i read was "why didnt they TELL me how bad it would be?" "I wish i would have known..."

So your doc is, very frank, and some see brutal BUT delivery in speech is what we cant read in a text. I think he could have used "some do this,some do that, everyone is different but i want u prepared for either AND we'll find the right pain management for YOU"

And so it is. As people have responded 2 u. It varies, be prepared but ALWAYS stay hopeful. Its a long recovery u cant rush but need to do ur part. I was up walking 3hrs after bilateral pkr and never threw up.

Good luck. You have all of us rooting u on!!

• Posted

I never had a Dr try and bend my knee the next day..and I never threw up when they messed with it. The last 6 surgeries I've had they used a femoral drip for pain and it was drill in for 24 hours or so. Does t see overly professional to tell someone something like that but sometimes egos are bigger than their portion of common sense. Maybe you should think about finding another surgeon if this guy is making you upset a d nervous. I certainly would consider it.

• Posted

I think you've made a very good point here Oldfatguy.  In our hospital no-one came to try and force a bend!  The physio came and told us how to do GENTLE slides explaining that it would be difficult at first and that the third day was the most difficult but that it got easier after that.  There was never anyone touching our legs - we were left to do it in our own comfort.  It worked for me!  If this chap really does go round forcing bends on people the day after the op I'd go somewhere else! 

• Posted

Hi Emma -- I reside in the United States so medicine is a little different. When I had my TKR, I was giving pain killers around the clock for 2 days while in the hospital. My surgery was in the evening. The next morning the physical therapist came and stretched my leg and slowly bend my knee. It was painful, but nothing that I would past out. Then he came back in the afternoon and help me get up from the bed and help me walk around the room. In the meantime, the nurses were giving me the pain killers that the surgeon prescribed. The second day I got up and walked up and down the halls with a walker. After the surgeon finished with the surgery, he numb my leg so I won't feel too much pain. The surgery is very painful for some people. It was for me. But I was well taken care of controlling the pain. If I would have gone to a surgeon like the one you described, I surely find another one immediately. I never heard of a surgeon bending the knee the day after surgery. You could do this with the right doctor, pain killers and a good physical therapist. As for your part is a full time job exercising the knee and icing it. Always follow what your surgeon and PT person advise you. I know that the other member have giving you excellent advice. Good luck. J-21370

• Posted

Oh LOL!  Emma this varies so much between people as to how much pain they get after the op!  I think he's trying to put you off!  Personally, and I know I was the extreme end of good, the hospital came round the second evening and said 'what's you pain level?' ready to give me painkillers and my reply was 'what pain - I haven't got any'.  And I never had any real pain apart from at three weeks when I overdid the bend and I phoned the hospital and told them.  My bend was very good (115) and they told me not to push the bend for a couple of weeks.  A week later it was fine.  I sailed through this op in March this year and am currently desperately waiting for my date for my second knee.  My hospital gave me instructions for exercises to do before and after the op, to get the bend back and I never had any problem at all, and there are others on here exactly the same.  Obviously with a group like this you tend to get more of the people who DO have problems, purely because they seek out a group because they need support, and yes, it is possible to have problems, but to say that you WILL is wrong.  You might, but you might not!  And if you've got horrendous pain before the op, in my view you've got nothing to lose, because if you are one of those who gets more pain, at least there is an end to it with the op!  People are given very good painkillers if they need them too!  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.