I saw my surgeon today...

Posted , 16 users are following.

He took one look at me and told me I was way too young for a TKR, but then he looked at my X-rays. I am now off work and waiting on the cancellation list. He told me that the damage to my knee is unbelievable.

He told me what to expect and said that the pain for two weeks post op is unbearable and that when he comes in the next morning to bend my knee that I will throw up from the pain because everyone does. Is it really as bad as he is saying? I'm so scared now😳

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have a spinal anaesthic , rather than a general , the recovery is much quicker , less chance of being sick after,  and you will not feel anything , you can be sedated so that you are unaware of most that is going on .
    • Posted

Yes, the spinal was amazing!  But I had that and was sick, but don't know if it was the sedative, or what.  Definitely recommend the spinal though!  I was sick after a general that I had for something else too LOL!

• Posted

Yes, David the spinal is great. I never had one before and getting ready to go to surgery and my grandson's mom was there and she actually talked me into doing it. I think it made the difference or do I am told. Never had the kind of pain that some people speak of. I had some pain but it was not to bad.

• Posted

Oh Emma, I just read your post!!

Pain after the op is not unbearable. NHS hospitals are not torture chambers! The one thing they ask, all the time, is "how is the pain, do you need any pain relief?"

This is a long road to recovery afterwards but in all honesty I cannot say I had a lot of pain!!

Everyone is different & everyone's perception of pain is different! You will have sleepless nights, you will have pain but hey you will have had butchery done on your leg, you don't expect nothing!! Unbearable NO!!

I do not know of ANY NHS Orthopaedic surgeon who will come into your room the day after the op to bend that leg??!! You won't see the surgeon again until the 6 week check. That's the last time I saw my surgeon, & I can't get back in to see him! Any physiotherapy is done by the ward physiotherapist & she WILL NOT bend your leg, she'll get you to lift your leg (if you can), she will get you on you feet with a walker, she may try you with the heel slides, that is all!!

I know that under NICE guidelines patients have to be given all the options & be told what could go wrong, but it sounds more like scare mongering to me!

I knew no pain in hospital as they gave me morphine!! Didn't know much else as it knocked me out & that was the only thing that made me sick!! Couldn't keep a thing down.....urghhhh. But because of pain purlease!!

If you need to have TKR, have it, it is much better than the alternative!! After living with osteo arthritis for too many years, I know what I'd go for!!

Good luck

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Emma I am 50 and in the U.K. The pain is always controlled in hospital and so please do not worry. Just remember when you get home to take your pain killers at regular intervals as I dIdnt at first and got some pain. I took codine and paracetamol for about 5 weeks and now occasionally take paracetamol ( nearly 8 weeks). I am not out e other side yet but my new knee is definitely the stronger of the two and gives me less pain than the operated one. Everything will go well I am sure . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.