I sent my ESA form back and not heard a word

Posted , 5 users are following.

I received a ESA form which was filled out and sent back just short of three months ago. My ESA should have been reassessed over a year and half ago. I am in the support group after previously winning an appeal. I am very worried that I could be called in for a face to face at any time. Is it usual to not hear a word this length of time?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Yes it's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. You can't be found fit for work without an assessment. Most people have face 2 face assessments.  Waiting times depend on backlogs in your area and it's also holiday time and that will add to the wait i'm afraid. Some are actually waiting several months. Did you send evidence to support your claim with the form?

• Posted

Hello Denise,

I sent one piece as I was having trouble getting the doctor's secretary to print out my medical records. Various conditions go back 29 years and my doctors don't have them being diagnosed. I was told that othe last two years count for these purposes, which will miss out all but one condition.

• Posted

Hi,

They do advise that you send in evidence from within the last 2 years yes. However, with a lot of people this isn't always possible. A lot of people have life long conditions that can no longer be treated, other than with pain medication. Sending the evidence you have backed up with a diary, a letter from someone that knows you well and an up to date printed prescription list is the only thing we can do. I'm one of those people that my condition will never improve and have always sent in the evidence that i have. It's never been refused despite the fact it's more than 2 years old.

You also don't need a diagnosis for ESA.

• Posted

All my conditions are lifelong and there is no cure. One being degentive, osteoarthritis of most of my body. I am autistic which was diagnosed nearly three years ago. They were treating me for mental illness due to mistaking my autism for borderline personality disorder for over 20 years. The one person they don't listen to is the patient. I didn't even met the criteria for that condition. My counsellor has explained to me this is common to be misdiagnosed. But I still carry the stigma and bad experiences due to this misdiagnosis. I have always suffered anxiety but the DWP sends me into overide. I can't cope with them or who they employ. I was assessed on paper when I was transfering from income support to ESA. I was put in the work related group which freaked me out. I appealed and got into the Support group over 3 years ago. Now it's all happening again and I am scared and very anxious. To me it's a battle of nerves with the postman daily waiting for a brown or white enelvope. I try not to think about it, but it pops into my head daily. My doctor has given me diazepam. But it won't stop me worrying. I do it in my subconscious. I guess everyone is a bag of nerves being retested.

• Posted

There's a lot of people with life long conditions with no cure. Every single person that goes through these re-assessments suffer anxiety and are worried and stressed by the whole process. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do but wait.

I was sent another ESA50 form just over 2 weeks ago and i've been in the Support group for 5 years. I also have life long conditions with no cure for which i take morphine and other medication twice daily, so i know exactly what it feels like. I haven't even started to fill out the form yet and it has to be returned by the beginning of September. Am i stressed, of course i am, i wouldn't be human if i wasn't. Am i anxious, yes too right i am. I have very little sleep every night because pain keeps me awake constantly and i lie in bed not knowing what to do or how to deal with the pain. I can't take 2 steps without being in severe pain,  but i still have to be re-assessed.

New ESA rules were introduced last year for those already in the Support Group. The rules are if you have certain conditions and fit the criteria then it's possible you'll be awarded ESA indefinitely with no further re-assessments after your next re-assessment. This does not apply to everyone in the Support Group and there's only certain conditions that will receive this award. Up to now i've only ever heard of 3 people being awarded this. Until this happens, we'll all continue to be re-assessed, unfortunately.

• Posted

Hi Joe I have also been in the support group for a few years I got my esa50.form In June last year and had my face2face interview in may this year so it is a long wait for some the guy that done my assessment said to.me "i don't know why they called you in you have far to much going on" he didn't male me do any.physical stuff and at the end told me not to worry everything will be fine after a few weeks of nail biting i had the dreaded brown envelope in the post and was put straight back in the support group so try not to worry too much I'm sure it will be fine for you

• Posted

Thank you Chris. That was a long wait. They don't seem to be rushing in my case. I am trying not to think about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.