I should have known....

Posted , 8 users are following.

Remember last weekend, when I was panicking that my TKR operation site wasn't right as it was weeping? And remember how I saw physios/nurse/doctor/a&e doctor, who concluded that it was nothing, probably just an internal stitch playing up? Well I had an appointment booked with my regular GP today for something else, but my incision has been really sore, and still got pus coming from it, so I asked her to have a look. She took one look,and said yep, that's definitely infected! 😨😬

She's prescribed me heavy duty antibiotics, (hello thrush!) And she also sent me through to the nurse practitioner to get it properly dressed. They've both said it's only a surface infection. But if ANYTHING changes, e.g. it gets redder, hotter or it starts tracking, then I'm NOT to wait (I wouldn't anyway) but get it seen to straight away.

So finally it's being properly addressed, and I'm hoping it will soon clear up - annoying though that it's taken 7 medical professionals before I get it properly dealt with!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it IS sad that it took SO MANY "professionals" and so much time and effort on YOUR part to get those "professionals" to PAY ATTENTION!

YOUR story is a testament to all to KEEP CHECKING and KEEP LOOKING for answers!

I wonder why this happens so often... I hear SO MANY stories like yours! Maybe I just watch too many medical shows where by ten minutes to the hour ALL THINGS get SOLVED!

Still, you would think in your case that INFECTION would be an easy call. It certainly was what everyone diagnosed HERE from your description of things!

Glad the antibiotics are fighting the infection!

Keep us posted on your recovery, OK?

• Posted

Oh sweetie, your poor thing, if you are ever worried in the future, get off to the A&E. As for the side effects of antibiotics, coconut oil is supposed to be the new super wonder "cure-all" (you can cook/eat or drink it) x
  • Posted

Thank goodness you have had it now looked at by someone who knows what they are doing! I would be livid (I am sure you are!). Onwards and upwards now honey. Let us know how it goes, and hopefully in a week or so's time you will be telling us it is all fine smile
  • Posted

Isn't it rediculous that they can't identify something as simple as an infection...very worrying in fact.

Glad that you've now got the correct diagnosis and the antibiotics to address it.

• Posted

Hi Terri, sorry you are going through such bad health care, I to have found that the level of care second time round is not as good as first TKR. Same as you first one back febuary/ March. But how is your recovery going on a whole? i have little swelling this time round and am finding it a lot better( still painful) but better. I'm now 3 weeks in and have already been out walking approx a mile a day! Last time this was at 5 weeks. 

Anyway enough about me. You take care and don't you hesitate to get help if things get worse. Keep us updated. X

• Posted

Hi, on the whole I'm finding recovery much easier second time around, don't know if it's partly psychological because I knew much better what to expect......but sleep has been better, I got 85 degree bend in the first week, I'm struggling with straightening but had anticipated it would be a problem for me so I'm just keeping on working at it. So on the whole a lot better, but this infection has set me back a bit as its making it really sore to move my knee.....

And a mile a day?? Wow I'm impressed! Just make sure you don't overdo it too soon (we all do it, I know!).

So we just keep on keeping on, Christmas will hopefully be enjoyable and we can look forward to a happy, healthy, pain-free new year xx

• Posted

I al2ays used to get thrush with antibiotics, but my doctor now prescribes me a pessary which has stopped that!  You don't need any added problems at the moment!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.