I should of gotten better by now

Posted , 4 users are following.

Depression (including anhedonia which is an absence of pleasure) are, in a way, sort of like the flu. It comes and goes. You first get sick. But over time, the mind and body heal themselves and you are back to being completely well. This is because it is vital to get back to the state of your full normal well-being. Otherwise, your chances of survival (thriving in life) are slim. So it is vital that your mind and body restore its survival mechanisms. This would even include pleasure since pleasure is something vital for our thriving and survival in life. Far more people feel depressed having an absence of pleasure than there are people who are fine with and accept an absence of pleasure. This would be because pleasure is so vital to our survival as I've said before. Depression, in addition to being perhaps a chemical imbalance, can also be a natural stressful response. Depression can sometimes be a response that warns us that something is wrong in our lives that we need to change. This holds true in my case since my depression is not a chemical imbalance or anything of the sort at all. Rather, it is a response to my anhedonia (absence of pleasure). This depression response (feeling of hopelessness) is warning me that I must have my life of full pleasure that I solely value so much in order for me to live a good worthwhile life. 

Therefore, since pleasure is so very important for me and my life and is very important for many other people, then this is why the mind restores itself back to normal and that your full normal amount of pleasure should soon be fully restored back to you. You should be able to soon fully recover from depression and/or anhedonia and live the life of full pleasure that makes a vital part of your one and only life good and worth living. However, my anhedonia has been going on for 7 months, there are never any brief moments of pleasure, and it still hasn't gotten any better. As a matter of fact, it has only gotten worse over time and I am now left with complete chronic anhedonia. Therefore, I think I might have some condition that is preventing me from recovering. Usually, when you get the flu, you soon recover over time. But you then have some people who have the flu for prolonged periods due to some other type of condition/abnormality perpetuating the flu. Therefore, this might be what is going on with me here. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Therefore, if I can take care of this condition that is preventing me from recovering from this anhedonia, then I should have my full pleasure back to me in life.
  • Posted

WOW, sonic, that is one great post. Fascinating reading, and can empathise with you. Find it terribly difficult to do the things I used to do, and still looking for an answer, I suppose. The old phrase "find something to take your mind off things" seems not to work for us both,

good Luck and thank you again for the post,

George.

• Posted

You can't get better until youa accept the current state. As long as you resist to the present moment and whatever it brings, you fight your body so it fights back. Accept everything as it is the best thing ever, and those big grey clouds will soon go away. Thoughts are like clouds; some bigger and with rain and some smaller- but they all pass. Emotions, on the other hand, are derived from thoughts- so one more thing, stop connecting to thoughts. They are illusory and they are draining your energy. Rather focus into the present moment, and when you are fully in the present there will be no thoughts. 
  • Posted

I try not to use the word "should". I have had depression all  my life, diagnosed for like 20 years and it ain't going away. Ever. I think it can be managed but saying you "should " be better just makes you more upset
    • Posted

Hey Sarah I am with you.  I too have had depression for over 20 years.  I think Sonic Fan has his own agenda.  We plod on you and I don't we? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.