I smile/ laugh all the time although I really don't want to and it's unfitting

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey there!

Lately, an issue I have had for quite a long time has worsened and I don't know why.

It primarily happens when I feel uncomfortable and like I'm being watched. With some persons, it is really bad that we talk about a certain, serious topic and I have to laugh/smile the whole time which of course irritates them.

And I really don't find these kind of situations amusing ever, it is just that I always think about smiling and that I need to control myself.

It has increased also when I speak to a doctor or in a professional invironment and they are asking any kind of question and I can't really concentrate.

It just seems as if weren't taking them seriously, which I really do and as if I were mean.

It seems so stupid but really makes me mad at myself and my inability to control myself and present myself normally.

I would really appreciate any help, I am quite desperate and I wonder if I am alone in this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I do that...but it has lessened a lot in my old age. I have much better control. It was bad!

I laughed through my grandma's funeral...the whole time. Hid my face and hoped that people was thinking I was crying. I was a witness to a car accident. I was so worried about the people that crashed into the pole. But I was laughing uncontrollably, tears pouring out of my eyes. I sat there across the road...eventually other cars and a police car arrived. In all that time I couldn't stop laughing...yet I was so worried about them.

Laughing when people were talking about serious subjects happened a lot too. I have no idea why it happened... It is truly horrifying! Kept thinking I was crazy. Totally inappropriate times of laughing,,and I didn't think it was funny. Happened at random times as well...just for no reason...but if I was alone...I wasn't embarrassed and would just ride through the laughter.

It seems like you are trying to smile...not me. I was not thinking about anything. But it would just come flying out. Once I began laughing...I then focused on trying to stop. I am in my 50's. Good luck to you...and I hope it slows down for you.

Several years ago... I had a seizure. I am on siezure meds which has dulled my senses and I am foggy most of the time...thinking mabye it is why it rarely is a problem for me anymore.

• Posted

Hey!

Thank you for your reply. I am glad it got better for you.

I'm not 'trying' to smile, though- I try to think of nothing as well.

Do you have any tip to maybe better it?

• Posted

I really wish I had a tip. I feel bad for you because I do understand what you are going through.

At some point in my life, I finally realized I need to explain myself. So when it happened, I would apologize and tell them " When I got nervous or sad ...that sometimes I laugh".

Once I started telling people that, most seemed understanding...even though they didn't really understand. Not sure if that makes sense. I felt less crazy. Honestly...it's horrific when someone would tell me something that is sad or worrying them...and my response was laughter.

So maybe you can try to explain as well. It didn't cure me...but it was better than me walking away from them ...laughing. Was hard to make friends...but the ones that kept me around learned who I was, and knew my heart...and they accepted it and loved me even though I would be upset about it after a laughing spell.

I do hope that you can at least explain to people and apologize...maybe that is my advice...didn't change (until seizure meds doped me up), but at least I explained.

Hope this helps and so sorry this is happening to you. Just know that you ARE NOT crazy or bad or whatever things you think you are because of it...I used to get mad at myself and think I was crazy and bad...even though I loved and cared deeply...it didn't always show.

• Posted

Sounds like maybe psuedobulbar affect. I would discuss with your doctor. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.