I so need some advice!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am still awaiting tests but my GP suspects I have diverticulitis?

Ive had blood tests done (4 and counting) and all have come back normal including being tested for h pylori.

I have had irregular bowel motions for last couple of months but in the last week it has mainly been diarrhoea.  Also this week I have started to feel nauseous and then come over all hot but then it passes after a few minutes.

I have left side pain in pelvic area (had ultrasound of womb and ovaries and all ok) so know it’s nothing to do with those.

Today I have only ate toast with egg mayonnaise on top and OMG straight after the stomach cramps sad and I have been to the toilet (diarrhoea) about 5 times now.  I also feel nauseous.

Does this sound like diverticulitis?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Why haven’t they done a CT with contrast. I have had two episodes of diverticulitis without a increased white count but still acute on CT. 
    • Posted

I think because I had microscopic blood and protein in my urine they wanted to rule out kidney or bladder cancer so had ct scan on kidneys, ultrasound on bladder and kidneys, intravenous urogram and cystoscope all recently which came back normal - hence her now thinking my left side pain is diverticulitis? I see her on Tuesday and I put a stool sample in 2 weeks ago that the results should be back by then. She said next step would probably be a colonoscopy but don’t like the sound of that.  Is a ct with contrast more or less the same thing and can see the bowel?

So If my white blood cells were normal it can’t be diverticulitis? I’ve been on such a long journey and still have no answers to my pain and symptoms and it’s making me depressed!

• Posted

I have had both sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy (the latter with sedation rohipnol). Both showed the tell tale black marks which are the holes in the bowel leading to the diverticular clusters. Both procedures carry some risk but they seem inclined to do these first as it avoids unnecessary X-rays and also if they find small polyps which they can remove during the procedure and test for other conditions. Having confirmed there is Diverticular disease they will do a CT scan as this looks at all the internal organs. I too have microscopic blood in urine with no known cause. I do have elevated WBC.
    • Posted

I have blood in Rome every time I have an attacking of diverticulitis. I have had two bouts confirmed by CT that I did not have an elevated white count. So yes you can still have diverticulitis wothout white count elevation. Diverticulitis is inflammation of the diverticuli, you can have this without infection. Infection is just a more advanced stage.
  • Posted

I am not a Dr but if you had diverticulitis as you describe your blood tests should have shown a high white blood cell count (WBC) indicating that your body was fighting an infection. So it may be something else.
    • Posted

I have had 5 bouts of diverticulitis confirmed with CT within contrast. Only twice has my white count elevated above the normal range. The other times it was at the high end of normal but they didn’t flag it as they had nothing to compare it to for what was normal for me.
  • Posted

I have been same as you but it has slowed down now after flagyl.  I will have tomhave colonoscopy with ct to see what happened. But im just glad it has abated. Did you get antibiotics, they definitely worked. I am on a very plain diet keeping away from oily food of ny sort and dairy.
    • Posted

I have only done iv antibiotics and augmentin at home. I can’t take the flagyl.
    • Posted

My GP is thinking next step when I see her is a colonoscopy as have ruled out a lot of others stuff. I’m only 46 so feel I may be too young for diverticulitis? I know for any disease though age is but a number.
  • Posted

i have had CT scans and colonoscopies since 2005. I was told that it was not operable as it was so extensive. I have antibiotics every few months and take quite a lot of paracetemol (acteominophen in N America) to control the pain. I have had 2 major bleeds and dread the next though at the start they said only 5% of those with the disease have bleeds. You need to experiment with diet to find what you can take and, decide with your Dr which antibiotic is best for you. Surprisingly walking helps my pain subside but doubtless everybody id different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.