I started Champix 5 days ago. Not sure if i am doing it correct

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

can I have your advise please. So I started Champix 5 days ago. I will soon undergo and operation and the Dr says that he will not assist me if I am not smoke free for at least a month. I started champix starter kit on Sunday evening 0.5mg tabs and on Tuesday morning after only 2 pills I decided that I am done and not going to smoke another cigg. Tuesday morning by 9am I have smoked 2 ciggs and that was the last... Today is 2 days since my last cigg... Is this the way it supposed to work or do I have it all wrong? I am trying my best to stay strong because by April when I see my Dr I should be smoke free... Just interested if the way I am doing it is the correct way? I have not consulted a Dr regarding the champix and how it should work and how to take it. I got the starter kit from a friend and just started it on my own.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sheree, well done you, I used to work for a website called no smoking day, an absolutely brilliant site for coping with nicotine withdrawal but sadly it is no longer available, BHF which is the British Heart Foundation now run a site so if you wanted to log into that it may be of assistance it doesn't have even a small amount of members as no smoking day did but all assistance is helpful. If you've managed to go two days without a cigarette that's absolutely amazing it's not an easy thing to do but if your surgeon has dictated that you need to be smoke free for him to operate then it's obvious that that's what you need to do, I personally wouldn't advise taking somebody else's medication I think that if you can do this with willpower alone you will get over the symptoms of the withdrawal much faster, does your GP surgery have a quit smoking nurse if so I suggest you make an appointment with her to help you progress your quit, I personally will be 9 years quit on Christmas Day and as far as I'm concerned it's one of the best things I've ever done for my health and my well-being in my whole life. Quitting smoking has to be something you really want to do you cannot be made to do it by anyone else but if you are halfway there to wanting to quit then you will succeed, you don't say how old you are or how long you have been smoking but really that doesn't matter it's the fact that you are now going to quit and be a non smoker, as I said this won't be an easy journey but there are plenty of people on here to help support you so anytime when you feel that you cannot cope or that you're going to light up just using an acronym nope that stands for not one puff ever, remember that if you do once light up again that will wake up your nikko demons and once Awakened they actually get harder to put back to sleep as I said this is not an easy journey but you're not on your own, every day more and more people are actually quitting smoking I don't always think it's a good idea to replace smoking a cigarette with some other nicotine based substitute but that's up to the individual, I stop cold turkey and actually I think I had less problems than people who decided to go with vapes and Champix good luck and if it anytime you need to chat then feel free to come on and I will keep an eye on this thread plenty of fresh orange juice, even sweets are going to be better for you than a cigarette at the moment but also then you've got the task of losing weight after you've quit also not an easy task

• Posted

Thank you for your response AlexandriaGizmo. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I am 33 years old and have been smoking for about 17 years now. I loved smoking but i want to have a baby so badly and I am having some complications so i need to undergo an op and the Dr says i need to stop because healing after the op will be an issue.

Another thing i worry about is the weight gain so at the moment the cravings are not that bad but they are there. I try keeping myself busy at work and when i do crave I have some carrot sticks and some cucumber that i snack on. I hope that i can continue this way. I am still on the mild pills and i hope when i do start with the 1mg twice daily that i dont have much of the issues that other people iv read has but that remains to be seen.

Since you went cold turkey how did you deal with cravings??? I know many people that say they eat so much more.

Another thing i wanted to know people say they are having sleep issues when on champix what if you take a herbal sleeping pill or something to help relax would that be ok?

• Posted

Hi Sheree, sorry for the delay in answering, sadly other things seem to get in the way, it's great news that you are quitting I'm sure you won't look back on this and think it was something you shouldn't have done, you will probably like me wish you had done it years ago, it will definitely be something that will change your life and help you have a baby as well what could be a better result, Champix is not for everybody but if it works then definitely go for it and using it the way you are doing is really the best way, as for putting weight on yes I did a little I think within the first three months I put a stone on but it soon came off again when I changed my diet back to what it was before, it wasn't too much of a problem as I wasn't very big to start off with and I actually felt better for carrying that bit more weight, it probably didn't help with me that it was Christmas day when I stopped so as you can imagine there was lots of goodies about, well for a while anyway until I ate them all 😁😁 crisps are actually my downfall always have been and still are but being as my weight is now absolutely back to where it always was before when I smoked I don't mind, once you get into the habit of being a non smoker I guarantee you will not want to go back, clean clothes clean hair everything smelling fresh, that can be a big draw to staying quit.

When are you going in for your operation, your consultant will be well impressed, let us know how you're doing and I'm sure everyone on here will give you the support that you deserve and possibly need, take care

• Posted

I am so glad to see the response and motivation from all of you on this forum... It makes me so happy to hear that I shouldn't even worry about the weight. That was one of my concerns but i am trying really hard not to pig out and eat everything and anything... I make sure i have a fruit and some carrots for when i feel like having something and so far so good.

I will be going for my operation sometime in April not sure of the exact date will know after my follow up with the Dr. Yes the Dr will be very impressed because so am I... I am so chuffed with myself for coming this far considering how i stressed before i even started.

I make sure that i pray daily and ask God to give me the strength for the new day as well. I will keep you all posted as to how it goes...

One other thing should i continue with the 3 month treatment??? do you think that will be best?

• Posted

I think you should be extremely proud of your quit, it can seem a long and challenging road but your definitely not on your own, their lots of us out here now who have been quit quite a while and still going strong, I arrived at my 8 year milestone last Christmas and actually forgot till my other half reminded me, what a Wally, I blame it all on my age LOL on wards and upwards is the way to go.

Your well young enough to put your body back to the same place it was prior to you actually starting.

• Posted

Hi, well done for stopping! I stopped with champix almost 4 years ago and havent looked back. How are you getting on now? I started to feel nauseous and had headaches, as well as weird dreams about 3 weeks into the course. I just reduced the dose and felt better. Let us know how you are and if you need any advice x
    • Posted

Hi... Its been 9 days into the course and im doing great... I have also started having the dreams and somewhat insomnia... i feel the nausea coming along as well but i make sure i take the pill before i eat so the nausea is not that bad i can handle that.

The 1mg tabs has started 3 days ago and that brings about the nausea and the insomnia and the dreams so yesterday i decided that i will split the tabs and take half dosage in the morning and the other half at lunch time and non at night because the sleeping is a real issue for me... So last night was the first night after 9 nights that i have not taken any pills and I had a great sleep... I think i will continue with this routine and see how it goes.

Overall I feel great... I do think about having a smoke now and then but then a few seconds later that thought leaves my mind. My husband still smokes and it doesn't even bother me... the smell and the ashtrays and stuff. I dont hide myself from smokers or smelling it or anything like that i live simply like i did when i was a smoker.

I think Champix is great... its a huge help... It seems so easy... sometimes i worry how come its so easy since before i decided to quit i panicked a bit because i thought will never be able to do it... I feel as though im not having much side effects... is that because of the champix?

Oh by the way my lips are also starting to get its color back so i know something is happening.

• Posted

Hi, that's great news. You are doing really well. Yes, Champix is wonderful. I was like you, still thinking about having a cig, but told myself I was a non smoker. Also keep teeling yourself youre not going to pay hard earned cash to poison yourself. Keep in touch, let us know how youre getting on. 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.