I started taking Citalopram 20 mg a few days ago. Does anyway know how to stop the nausea?

Posted , 4 users are following.

After I take Citalopram in the morning I feel really nauceous with feeling of discomfort in my stomach.  Any suggestions?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi

my cpn recommended Kwells years ago and they worked a treat for me. Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Thank you Tanzi, I'll definitely give it a try.
  • Posted

i'd suggest a phonecall to your doctor to explain the symptoms and so you can be given something appropriate. i didn't have nausea but i did have burning like indigestion and i was put on omeprazole which calmed the whole thing down. 
    • Posted

...sorry forgot to say.....i used to take citalopram in the evening - that was when my doctor told me to take it. were you told to take it in the morning? am not sure if there is a difference.
    • Posted

I was wondering about that.  The doctor told me to take it in the morning and after I've taken it I just want to sleep and feel zoned out.  So maybe I should try taking it in the evening.
    • Posted

well....check first with your doctor.

if you've been told to take it in the morning then there might be a reason!

• Posted

Sorry can't give you any real help.  Like you my main side effect was nausea.  In fact after 5 weeks on it I still get it on occasion. Bear with it.   It will get better.  Line you I searched the internet for help but nothing really helped.   However knowing that it is the drug causing it and the drug really helps got me through the worse.   Don't lie in bed or sit around when the nausea hits.  Get up and move around.  Find something to do and that will make it pass more quickly.  I was never sick but carried a plastic bag with me 'just in case'.   In fact still carry it around with me and now let my friends know do we csn laugh together. 
    • Posted

Good advice, maybe I should just shake myself and get up and go to the gym which I've stopped doing since I started to feel the nausea.  Thank you
  • Posted

Hi Norma, I know this may sound silly but have you tried taking the tablet with something to eat, just a couple of biscuits or a piece of toast. Many tablets cause nausea it's worth a try. 
  • Posted

Hi Norma,

I found that for the first week or so I was on citalopram I felt like that, but it did get a lot better after that first week smile

The best thing I found I could do was have a decent breakfast before I took my tablet so I at least had some energy for the day - sorry that's not much help, but I just want to say that in my case it did get better fairly quickly and I hope you'll feel better soon too smile

• Posted

It was really hepful and I'd like to thank all of you for your suggestions.  This morning I took a dramamime (equivalent of Kwells), then I had breakfast, then the cit and then got moving.  Felt so much better, flagging a bit now but definitely feel that as I give the cit time to work I'm going to feel much, much better.

Thank you all again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.