I started taking Doxozosin 4mg and don't like it

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm on several drugs (ABCD) for uncontrolled high blood pressure. The most recent addition is Doxozosin 4mg . Now I feel I have energy, and just want to sit down.

I push myself to walk at least an hour a day because I know I must but at a much slower pace.

I have also piled on a lot of weight and hate myself for it,

I think it is the drugs that are making me feel so uncomfortable and sluggish.

Dose anyone have any experiences with this Doxozosin drug ?

Pat

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I guess the first question to ask is whether it's helping on the BP?

When all else fails, maybe it's time to get serious on reducing your weight, any chance of that, if it meant your BP would fall and you could stop most or all of the drugs?

• Posted

Hi JX

Regarding my uncontrolled BP.

Four weeks ago I posted - regarding the horrible drug Doxososin. It is still not working for me. I'm having horrible side effects from my drugs.

My GP says he doesn't want to change Doxososin , that I must keep on taking it.

Oh dear.

JX I have taken your advice.

For the last four weeks I got very serious with my weight. I have been on a 18 hour fasting diet ( drinking water only and no sugar at all!!!) Having a small snack at 12md and one good healthy meal a day 5pm , five hours before bedtime. Dieting this way gets me through the night and I have lost six/half kilos. I still got a bit to go yet.

I'm on a roller now. How good is that!

Sadly to date my BP remains the same.

I'm now thinking in the lines of my under active thyroid and how to get a more envolved blood test other than THS T4 T3 to find out what the thyroid is doing and WHY?

Has anyone had any experiance with a test "Basal Body Temperature" (BBT)

Thank you JX

• Posted

i have only been on DOXAZOSIN 1 mg for 2 weeks but i am not finding it good. I also have less interest in doing anything tired but notice it changes mental feelings as well and affecting my dreams! I have problems walking and have gained weight telling someone to lose weight which yes would help is not all that easy I have tried several medications but they all seem to have terrible side effects. THIS ONE IS AN ALPHA 1 blocker and in fact as well as being used for enlarged prostrate is used to treat PTSD and anxiety so it is affecting brain chemistry . IT has not really brought my Bp down much but i need a bigger dose I TOOK 2 mg one day and could not do anything so the lack of energy is counter productive for losing weight . I HOPE TO TRY SOMETHING ELSE

• Posted

I was put on Doxazosine 16mg (plus 2 other drugs) daily and I had your exact symptoms plus aches, pains, shortness of breath and dizziness. Eventually, the doctor replaced it with Lercanidipine 20mg - this along with Losartan 100mg and Atenolol 50mg for me, still produces side effects but far less than with Doxazosine.

I seems to be the case that most people use these drug without ill effects but a minority are adversely effected.

• Posted

hi thanks for the reply to THe other PATRICIA I certainly agree that some people get symptoms while others don't and I WILL LOOK INTO THE OTHER MEDS .

• Posted

hi , thanks for putting this out there ,,, im new to this site ,,but releived ive now found it , ive taken losarton 100 for many years with no problems , then in february i was due tomhave an operation but surgeon cancelled it due to my high BP,,, i saw my gp and he put me on DOXAZOSIN just 1mg aswell as my losarton ,,,,, since then ive had no energy ,unable to do my usual daily activities ie housework ,,, or shopping ,,, or going to the gym ,,, sadly ive put all those things down to recovering from the operation ,,,,until i read my diary ,,,and realised sll my problems stemmed from february and doxazosin ,,,, i stopped taking it for a few days and

felt much better in a day or two ,,,,, i shall be seeing gp to ask to come it , take care ,

• Posted

i was perscribed doxazosin about 5mths ago, it was 2mg to start increasing to 4mg, i found i was having angina symptoms couldnt get to the top of a hill without aving to stop, i was given somethin else (cant remember iv had so many) i reacted badly to it but my doctor just said persevere, i didnt want to so went back on doxazosin it worked to start but my bp is back through roof with readings fluctuating between 130/90 to 178/100..iv just had 24hr bp monitoring and waiting to hear from my gp. my weigjt is gaining and i know its the meds,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.