I started taking Lansoprazole at the age of 27 and have ...

Posted , 67 users are following.

I started taking Lansoprazole at the age of 27 and have been using it daily for five years. I used to get these terrible throbbing pains in my upper stomach, which would spread upwards into my food pipe. The pain would get worse and worse, and go right through to my back. When it first happened I thought I was having a heart attack! The Lansoprazole is very effective. I started on 30mg for about two years, then went down to 15mg for about 6-months, but then the pains came back, at times so badly that I had to walk out of work meetings and go home as it was impossible for me sit there and disguide the pain I was in. I'm now back up to 30mg daily. My doctor says the government recommends 15mg but that doesn't work for everyone. Apparently the government want to make it only avaialble over the counter which worries me, as it costs about £10 for 6 tablets, but at the moment I get a three month prescription for about £7. I have had a gastroscopy (tube down my throat, into my stomach) and all they saw was a little inflammation, I also had treatment for H. Pylori bacteria but that didn't do anything, I suspect because I wasn't infected in the first place. The doctor was at a loss and admitted he was treating my by a process of elimination. It is frustrating to live with this without a clear diagnosis and worries me about long term effects on my health, but most of the time the medication does its job and life goes on as normal. Last night I had a rare, but prolonged attack that kept me awake for two hours, and I tried swallowing air and burping it back out - it seemed to work bizarrely enough! If anyone wants to get in touch re. this please do as I could do with sharing this sometimes with other sufferers instead of feeling like a freak with an exotic disease at the doctors! Thanks.

[i:e879756bfd]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e879756bfd]

6 likes, 98 replies

98 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Is the pain so bad that you fear eating? smile
  • Posted

Yes it is, Dr Spock. Or at least not that I fear eating, but I fear what to eat. I avoid anything that could potentially cause it to happen, however insignificant it may seem. Basically my diet consists of vegetables, plain pasta, cous cous and pitta bread at the moment. I'm too scared to eat anything more complex, whether it be fatty, acidic, spicy, sugary or anything else for fear of it happening. I've now dropped from 15st 3lb in April to 11st 13lb this week. I was just about to book a private appointment when I had an appointment through - at last - to see a consultant. 8th November. Can't come soon enough for me. I'm just worried that they still won't know what the problem is. My GP thinks it could just be functional dyspepsia and will just have to be \"managed\" rather than cured, which isn't exactly what I want to hear since I'm not able to manage it successfully at the moment.
  • Posted

Yes it does sound Gallbladder / Biliary related. How are your right arm, shoulder and neck,, niggling pains like you've slept on them funny, muscle aches and general right sided aches and niggles? smile
  • Posted

It's interesting that you ask. I get a lot of what you mentioned - but on the left side. A bit of an ache just left of centre in my abdomen and a sort of muscular ache around the left side of my ribs and back, sometimes my left shoulder, particularly when driving or sitting at a funny angle, e.g. when slouching on the sofa. I did ask my GP about this and he did say that gall bladder pain can present anywhere but ruled it out since I'd had an ultrasound that ruled out gallstones recently and had also been recently discharged by the surgeon who advised of the thickening of the gall bladder wall as not the cause.
  • Posted

Stomach and or Duodenal Ulcer, you need another Gastroscopy, keep taking the Lanso, don't take Ibuprofen, Aspirin or Diclofenac :cheers:
  • Posted

hello It sounds like I have a very similar problem to you.I get pains in my chest/abdomen area,just below my breast bone which radiates through my back.I get these after eating and it is no certain foods I think it happens with all sorts.I do have a hiatus hernia and think that might be some of the problem and gallstones too .My doctor said it was caused by too much stomach acid and gave me lanzoprazole for 2 months but it made very little or no difference.

I get the pains everyday and it lasts several hours making me feel sick but I never am sick.I just try to eat very small amounts and very slowly to casue as little wind as possible and this sounds really stupid but i have to lay on the floor once I have eaten for the wind to move around( no more eating out for me then eh??)

I am trying to find solutions myself on the net as get so down having this pain all the time, I just dont want to eat and it makes me weak so I have to. can anyone help me at all????

• Posted

hello It sounds like I have a very similar problem to you.I get pains in my chest/abdomen area,just below my breast bone which radiates through my back.I get these after eating and it is no certain foods I think it happens with all sorts.I do have a hiatus hernia and think that might be some of the problem and gallstones too .My doctor said it was caused by too much stomach acid and gave me lanzoprazole for 2 months but it made very little or no difference.

I get the pains everyday and it lasts several hours making me feel sick but I never am sick.I just try to eat very small amounts and very slowly to casue as little wind as possible and this sounds really stupid but i have to lay on the floor once I have eaten for the wind to move around( no more eating out for me then eh??)

I am trying to find solutions myself on the net as get so down having this pain all the time, I just dont want to eat and it makes me weak so I have to. can anyone help me at all????

• Posted

Hello everyone. I can sympothise with everyone. I have been having the same problems for the last 5 years. Up untill I was 19 i NEVER had any problems medically. Doctors have just put mine down to 'IBS' and 1st i was given buscopan.....this blocked me up so then they gave me a laxative this then brought me out in a rash so they then gave me a cream. Then I went to have a camera (put up!! lol) to have a look for ne problems and the woman at the hospital said take 'milk of magnisium' and iv got to admit thats one of the best things iv tried!!. I am now taking Lansoprazole once a day n im not sure f its doing ne thing or not!??.

Some times I do get really fed up n wish I could have my old life back but knowing your not the only ne suffering really helps!!.

I have tried endless treatments- hypnotherapy, acupuncture, alaxandra techneque, iv bought books, cds, read articals ect.

Recently I sore a new doctor and she advised me some things that have really helped!!!;

NO tomatoes

NO food with skin on eg apples

NO processed food

NO tea or coffee (not even decafe as the teabag its self contains acid!!!!)

NO white bread, pasta or rice ALWAYS brown

Try and eat fresh food n foods that have as little ingredients as possible.

Really wish everyone good health

sharon x

• Posted

I have been taking lanzasprosole 30mg for 6 weeks or more now and it has stopped the acid reflux but am continually burping all the time and I take it once a day about 4pm then have my meal about 6pm sometimes am feeling sick in the mornings

have had camera down throat twice now and have reflux( GERD)

been like this for years

also feel a bit dizzy when walking in town for no reason I seem to walk to one side has anyone else had these symptoms at all>????

• Posted

hi all,

I suffered with all this when i was in my 20s a lot everyday in fact . The doctors tried everything with me from tablets to camera. I found cutting down the coffee helped and also going to the gym and i hardly have any problems and when i do they are far between. So what do i do to solve the problems? Well i drink water all day and that helps to calm it all down. Easy solution instead of popping all these tablets in to you when most only makes things worse. Try it and exercise just stretching your body can help but it may not suit every one. Be careful what you eat late at night as that can play a part for the next day when you wake.

Good luck and healthy living.

• Edited

Well , that reply didn't work LOL...

Just wanted to share my experiences really , up until about march 2009 i had never had any stomach problems , didn't even know what an oesophagus (sp) was?

Then one day i felt this fire clutching hold all through my lower stomach and chest , like a iron grip , along with cold sweats and to be frank , the feeling of needed to be sick and go to the `big `toilet at the same time

It was pretty dreadful

I self treated at first with Buscopan and that did seem to help....but it reoccurred probably 3 or 4 times in a years period , so i went back to the doctor , and he prescribed Lansoprole , 30mg once a day , no real advise on when to take it , how to take it etc , so i sometimes forgot , sometimes took it at different times etc

Then in Feb 2010 i had an attack that was the worse yet , i hope someone else recognises the symptoms ? you start by feeling hot and unsteady with cold sweats , then the feeling starts spreading in your stomach and chest , basically your `core` area , and before long , you are literally writhing on the floor in pain , there seems to be no position to ease the pain , on this occasion it lasted so long and was so bad , my wife called 999 , a paramedic arrived and gave me gas and air , and took me into A&E , and eventually the paid subsided

I was sick 2 or 3 times , just bile though...

Annoyingly ,in a way , the pain lessens to such an extent that literally 5 or 6 hours later , you would never know anything had happened , with the only after effects being very very washed out and feeling very tender in the stomach area..

Anyway , after this attack ,i went back to the GP and he sent me to the hospital for a camera down the throat to have a look to see , i couldn't take the camera , it makes me almost cry to think about having to face it again , they tried a number of times , but i just couldn't swallow it , even with throat numbing and a drip in my hand (i think the fear of the camera operation is mailing me worse)

So i returned to the hospital to have a barium meal , which apparently clearly showed acid coming back up from the stomach , so the doctor again basically prescribed long term lansoprole , 30mg a day , once a day...

So really since then , other than feeling a bit rough sometimes , i hadn't had an attack since , but then this past Friday , i had an attack , shamefully enough, whilst we were taking the kids to whipsnade for a day out! , the same old symptoms started whilst we were watching the sea lions show! , familiar sweats , pain starting in the middle of my body , i stumbled off to a disabled toilet nearby to try to wait it out , but this time , my god , the pain was so bad , and my hands and fingers were frozen together , i honestly thought i was going to die , there and then on a toilet floor with my kids and wife wondering where i was !

i eventually whilst laying on the floor unlocked it and asked people for help , and the first aider came , apparently i was in and out of consciousness , and again , went to hospital , this time , again , eventually after the gas and air , the pain does eventually recede , to leave you exhausted , but this time i had taken a lansoporol the night before , but the doctor said , take it in the morning on an empty stomach for it to work best , at the same time , also i had been skipping tablets , one day on , one day off , because i thought i was getting better and don't want to be on tablets for the rest of my life (im 34) , what a mistake that turned out to be!

I desperately want the camera down the throat to see if there is anything more serious happening , but i am loosing sleep and almost crying at the thought of it , i am going to the gp on monday and I'm going to beg that they do it under general aesthetic

I just wanted to share what happening to me with people going through something similar , its reassuring to know im not alone

all the best all

Dan

• Posted

Hi

I get same symtons as you, I get a pain in between my shoulder blades, it hurts so much it makes me sick, I have been taking lansoprazale for about 3 years, at moment can manage on 3 per week, if I get an attack I just take an extra one & it takes it off, another reason I take them is I was sick every few weeks, doctors could not tell me why, tried to stop taking them but was sick after 8 days so back on 3 per week, cannot work out what brings on an attack for me but seems when I eat at certain resturants, cut out one`s I have been poorly after, first time I had an attack nurse at place we were eating thought I was having a heart attack.

• Posted

I've been having a lot of the same pain as many people on this forum. It started years ago when I had a reaction to anti-inflammatory tablets. However, about 4 years ago it got a lot more intense and regular, and the GP put me on Omeprazole. It seemed to work for a while then gradually stopped working. I tried two more different drugs before trying Lanzoprazole. It helps but doesn't stop the pain completely and I still get really bad days. The pain is on the left under the lower ribs and can double me over. For some reason burping does seem to relieve it. Gaviscon helps a little too, as does lying down. I've had the endoscopy & all they found was some inflammation of the gullet. However, recently I was discussing this with a colleague while in a taxi & the taxi driver said his consultant for peptic ulcers had unofficially told him to try flat Coca-Cola. I'm not a fan of it as I've never really liked the taste, but being desperate to both get rid of the pain and get off the tablets I decided to give it a try. I stopped taking the Lanzoprazole nearly 2 weeks ago and I'm having a small glass of flat Coke and a couple of sachets of Gaviscon each day, and all I can say is that the pain is definitely no worse and some days it does seem better. Apparently it can take a few weeks for the after-effects of the PPIs to calm down anyway, the stomach can overproduce acid when you stop taking them so I'm going to persist with this for at least another couple of months I think. It needs to be regular Coke (not diet) and very flat as the bubbles aggravate things. But worth a try. I'm trying to lose a bit of weight and exercise more too (although the exercise does aggravate things too). I'll try and remember to post back in a month or so with progress. Wish me luck...!!! smile
  • Posted

It's been really interesting to read everyone's experiences of Lansoprazole. I've been taking it now for at least 6 years. I try to keep to 15mg a day but if I get stressed, I find I need to up the dose to 30mg. I've been on 30 mg now for a couple of months and have been suffering from terrible wind, which was really beginning to worry me. However having read other people's posts, I'm beginning to suspect this might be due to the higher dose of Lansaprozole. I'm now trying to cut back to 15mg again but am worried that I'm going to suffer badly with heartburn again. Like other people i get the pain right through to my back. Another side effect I think I might be experiencing is hot flushes. Although I've been through the menopause, I think after four years I probably shouldn't be getting these as badly as I am and I'm wondering whether anyone else has had this type of problem especially night sweats which I have had really badly.
  • Posted

Dear panda14, I've just read your post - I posted the reply before yours. I started to get hot flushes, which I suspected was due to the Lanzoprazole. I also found my nails were breaking badly and my hair was thinning noticeably. I've stayed off the Lanzoprazole since my previous post, and I am now slowly finding my symptoms are reducing - in the last week I have only had 2 days where I have had noticeable discomfort. I find I can manage that with Gaviscon Double-Action and flat Coke. I've also lost a stone in weight, and although I still have a good couple of stone to lose I think that has also helped. My hot flushes have pretty much stopped - I get minor ones around my period but other than that they're gone. My nails are now getting stronger and a lot less brittle, and my hair is starting to look glossy and less limp and thin. I still get indigestion and some reflux, but I can manage both with over-the-counter medicines.

One word of warning though if you come off Lanzoprazole - the first few weeks my symptoms got a lot worse and I had several days where I was so tempted to start taking the medicine again. It has taken nearly 2 months to get to this stage, and I'm really happy I've stuck with it. I think my body is still sorting itself out, but the improvements are there and I don't intend to go back onto the tablets.

Good luck - I hope you find a solution.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.