I started taking Lansoprazole at the age of 27 and have ...

Posted , 67 users are following.

I started taking Lansoprazole at the age of 27 and have been using it daily for five years. I used to get these terrible throbbing pains in my upper stomach, which would spread upwards into my food pipe. The pain would get worse and worse, and go right through to my back. When it first happened I thought I was having a heart attack! The Lansoprazole is very effective. I started on 30mg for about two years, then went down to 15mg for about 6-months, but then the pains came back, at times so badly that I had to walk out of work meetings and go home as it was impossible for me sit there and disguide the pain I was in. I'm now back up to 30mg daily. My doctor says the government recommends 15mg but that doesn't work for everyone. Apparently the government want to make it only avaialble over the counter which worries me, as it costs about £10 for 6 tablets, but at the moment I get a three month prescription for about £7. I have had a gastroscopy (tube down my throat, into my stomach) and all they saw was a little inflammation, I also had treatment for H. Pylori bacteria but that didn't do anything, I suspect because I wasn't infected in the first place. The doctor was at a loss and admitted he was treating my by a process of elimination. It is frustrating to live with this without a clear diagnosis and worries me about long term effects on my health, but most of the time the medication does its job and life goes on as normal. Last night I had a rare, but prolonged attack that kept me awake for two hours, and I tried swallowing air and burping it back out - it seemed to work bizarrely enough! If anyone wants to get in touch re. this please do as I could do with sharing this sometimes with other sufferers instead of feeling like a freak with an exotic disease at the doctors! Thanks.

[i:e879756bfd]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e879756bfd]

6 likes, 98 replies

98 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear Sarah W. Thank you for replying to my post. I shall definitely be trying to come off the Lanzoprazole and I've taken on board your comments about the symptoms getting worse initially. I shall also try the flat coke and Gavison. I really don't want to rely on prescription medicine for the rest of my life!!

I will post again to let you know how I get on.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Thank god I have found this site, I have been taking Lanzoprazole on and off after being diagnosed with a hiatus hernia in September 2010.

I did go about 10 months on the table with no ill effects that I can remember. Then the symptoms returned with a vengence.

I went back to my GP and was again given Lanzoprazole which I took, the symptoms got gradually worse and I returned to my GP and she upped the dose to two x 30 grams of Lanzoprazole and started taking them at the end of last week. By Monday of this week I felt absolutely terrible, in fact I had to cancel a planned family dinner because I felt too unwell to cook.

I went off sick from work with the flu and purely out of curiosity I did some digging on the net and fell across this forum...... after reading all the side effects of the medication I find that I am experiencing at least 8 of them and this mornings tablet will be the last one I take.

I have booked a GP appt for Friday morning and will be setting my case out to him as to why I am coming off the medication. I would rather do this by diet and exercise than to take a medication that is making all my sypmtoms ten times worse..and on top of that feeling extremely nauseaus from the moment I open my eyes to the moment I shut them..... I will let you all know how I get on at the GP and the results of coming off the medication.

Hope your all coping well with your own symptoms.

Roma

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Thank god I have found this site, I have been taking Lanzoprazole on and off after being diagnosed with a hiatus hernia in September 2010.

I did go about 10 months on the table with no ill effects that I can remember. Then the symptoms returned with a vengence.

I went back to my GP and was again given Lanzoprazole which I took, the symptoms got gradually worse and I returned to my GP and she upped the dose to two x 30 grams of Lanzoprazole and started taking them at the end of last week. By Monday of this week I felt absolutely terrible, in fact I had to cancel a planned family dinner because I felt too unwell to cook.

I went off sick from work with the flu and purely out of curiosity I did some digging on the net and fell across this forum...... after reading all the side effects of the medication I find that I am experiencing at least 8 of them and this mornings tablet will be the last one I take.

I have booked a GP appt for Friday morning and will be setting my case out to him as to why I am coming off the medication. I would rather do this by diet and exercise than to take a medication that is making all my sypmtoms ten times worse..and on top of that feeling extremely nauseaus from the moment I open my eyes to the moment I shut them..... I will let you all know how I get on at the GP and the results of coming off the medication.

Hope your all coping well with your own symptoms.

Roma

• Posted

Well hello again,

Just an update on me stopping the medication. I havent bothered taking a tablet since the last entry, but what I have done, is cut out all white bread, and stick only to brown (preferably seeded) breads, cut out all fats, eg, butter etc. Cut out alcohol mostly, but do have the occasional drink. I now only drink herbal tea, and find that nettle and fennel tea extremely helpful as it is designed to help with digestion.

I only eat small meals and often, and if I feel a bit of nausea starting I eat a plain rice cake which seems to stop the nausea in its tracks within minutes.

It is now well over a week since I took the last tablet, and the wind has gone, as has the nausea to a massive degree.

When I consulted my doctor and told her I was stopping the medication she then offered me an alternative which I declined and informed her that I prefer to do this by diet and exercise. Upto date it seems to have worked. I feel I have more energy and am actually rejoining my health club this week and embarking on several study courses.

With a bit of discipline it seems that I do not require the medication, as long as I am sensible with what I eat and drink I dont seem to need medication.

Another benefit is the fact I dont have the cost of perscriptions either, so its a win win situation for myself.

Good luck to all you fellow sufferes and hope you conquer your aliments.

Take care

Roma

• Posted

Hi Roma Jane!

?It's been a while, but I would like an upd on your progress since coming off Lansoprazole?

?I have stopped taking Lansoprazole since 2 day ago, and the heartburn, acid reflux and severe nausea came back with a vengeance!

?Any tips you would like to give me to relieve my symptoms without medication would be helpful!

• Posted

Well hello again,

Just an update on me stopping the medication. I havent bothered taking a tablet since the last entry, but what I have done, is cut out all white bread, and stick only to brown (preferably seeded) breads, cut out all fats, eg, butter etc. Cut out alcohol mostly, but do have the occasional drink. I now only drink herbal tea, and find that nettle and fennel tea extremely helpful as it is designed to help with digestion.

I only eat small meals and often, and if I feel a bit of nausea starting I eat a plain rice cake which seems to stop the nausea in its tracks within minutes.

It is now well over a week since I took the last tablet, and the wind has gone, as has the nausea to a massive degree.

When I consulted my doctor and told her I was stopping the medication she then offered me an alternative which I declined and informed her that I prefer to do this by diet and exercise. Upto date it seems to have worked. I feel I have more energy and am actually rejoining my health club this week and embarking on several study courses.

With a bit of discipline it seems that I do not require the medication, as long as I am sensible with what I eat and drink I dont seem to need medication.

Another benefit is the fact I dont have the cost of perscriptions either, so its a win win situation for myself.

Take care

Roma

• Posted

Well hello again,

Take care

Roma

• Posted

I finished a 3 week course of Lansoprazole a week ago, and guess what, the acid reflux has come back, worse than it was before. Reading these posts have really helped me decide I don't want to go back on these - I will ride it out and look at my diet, otherwise I can't see any alternative but to be on them for life
  • Posted

Stopped taking lanzoprasole about 6months ago and tried to lose weight.lost almost 2stone and felt better.but gradually symptoms returning...after coffee especially also pains down left arm and constant burping does anyone have this problem?sometimes this pain you associate with heart problems had EKG in the past for same problem but tests seem ok
  • Posted

An unremarkable EKG doesn't mean you don't have Heart problems smile
  • Posted

It should not be used in patients with an allergy to lansoprazole or to other proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), children, the rare hereditary conditions of galactose intolerance, Lapp lactase deficiency, or glucose-galactose malabsorption
  • Posted

Lanzoprazole works well for me, but be aware that because it reduces the acid in your stomach, it also reduces your abilty to fight any bacteria in food you've eaten. I had the worst tummy bug ever after a trip abroad with friends in the Summer. We all ate and drank the same food, but I was the one who got really ill. My doctor told me that this is often the case. I can go a couple of months without lansoprazole, but then my symptoms will return so I take it again for a few weeks.
  • Posted

Hello,

I am 23 and been on Lansoprazole for several years. It is nice to be able to speak to people who can relate to me.

I used to get sever stomach pains, sometimes so painful that I could barely move.

I kept putting it odd and then I decided to go to the doctors.

Initially they thought it was Gallstones however, they did a scan and couldn't see anything unusual so the next step was to have a camera down my throat. They still couldn't see anything obvious and just said there was slight inflammation and a big build up of acid and I would just have to continue using Lansoprazole.

I was on 30mg and now on 15mg.. I sometimes get an acidicy feeling.. does anyone else? If so what do you do to get rid of it? As it is horrible and lasts all day (even when I have taken my pill).??????

Does anyone know if it is dangerous to be on it long term? I am not a big lover of pills but I would rather take something that will control the acidity.

What are common side affects do people have?

I sometimes feel constipated and sometimes feel bloated?

Hopefully hear from some people soon with some advice...

Rachel x

• Posted

I have suffered from 2 stomach ulcers(cured by eradicating helicobacter ) and continuous chest pain, excess acid and severe bloating for 20years!

Most of these years have been spent on 30mg Lanzoprazole...sometimes helping ,sometimes not. For my chronic chest pain I have had all cardiac causes ruled out and sent back to gastroenterologist.I have also had 5 endoscopies over the years....2 showing an ulcer..2 showing nothing, not even inflamation...could scarcely believe that as I was on fire!

However my most recent one was prompted by severe indigestion and pain. The doctor (a professor no less) found a diverticula in my stomach...said he'd never seen one in the stomach in his career..and told me he didn't think it would cause me any trouble (why was I there????!) He prescribed 60mg of Lanzoprozole and sent me off! This was 6 months ago.and no change in my symptoms.I eat a very bland diet and have cut out every vice known to man! GP says large dose won't harm me so might as well keep taking this dose. Don't really know where to turn so wondered if anyone out there could be of any help?

• Posted

Hi

I know this an old post but I've just come across it as I've been searching for some advice,I have been on 30mg Lansoprazole for many years but for the past two weeks I have been suffering from terrible heartburn,reflux acid,stabbing pains in upper abdomen,diarehea etc,I went to see the doctor last week and she put me on 2 x 20mg of Omeprazole daily instead,they have helped a bit but I still have to take some Gaviscon on a mainly daily basis too,I am hsving as bit of a bad time with,anxiety,stress,worry at the moment,could that make it worse?

Thanks for any replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.