I started taking the mini pill in october and had nothing but problems and mega stressed out

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 45 and chose the mini pill to try due to my age, am in a new relationship and have nt needed contraception for many years as on my own. I have had constant bleeding most of the time but gp s keep saying it should settle down . It is causing me alot of stress but  i am assured that I have no pre menopausal stuff to worry about right now. I have just started the 4 th pack of cerelle and been prescribed 3x cycle packs of provera to take as well to settle the periods last one was 17 days long and didnt stop until 4 th day of 6 provera tabs has anyone got anything positive to say to me about this pill and perserverance because I feel like stop taking them all.  Getting pregnant at 46 seems like a less stressful option right now. The pill is doing a great job as a contraceptive however, as we can't have sex because I'm bleeding all the time didnt realise that this is how it really works, well done mini pill I may as well go back to singledom. Am worried this will ruin a potentially brilliant relationship and am getting depressed. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

this isn't helpful, but if someone would leave you for that then they weren't ever worth having around. a good partner would understand and not punnish you for something like that when you can't control it...

• Posted

thanks for your reply but to clarify, my partner is very understanding, it is me who is getting stressed. I really wanted to find out if anyone has had the same thing and if things may get better in time ? A glimmer of hope maybe as I would love this pill to work out for me in the end.  
  • Posted

Hi Elsa70

I've been taking Cerelle for around three years now and for about the first 12 months I had almost constant light bleeding.  I nearly gave up with it on many occasions but persevered and it does get better.  I now haven't had a period or any bleeding at all for the last two years.  The only side effect I have had is spots on my neck and jaw region which I never had before.  Otherwise it works really well for me.

• Posted

Thanks, for you are the first person to give a positive review of the mini pill regardless of the brand.  I now believe that all brands are the same with this one.  A year to settle !! sorry I don't feel that is any where near good enough to accept. It Is far too long. How would you feel, if after that year it was still giving you bleeding all the bloody time and you then realised that actually this method doesn't suit you. I am glad it works really well for you, but it did'nt for me. I have been on my own for years, and celibate. I would now like to have sex on occasion if that's ok ? when it comes to patience, I have it. I don't feel that they have got the mini pill right and should be doing more for us to make it less crap. I have no problem with estrogen, lucky me, and have been close to going back on the combined pill which I can do until I'm 50, but don't want the increased risk of breast cancer.  It will be a last resort the last one. I feel settling for 4 months max is fair to ask.  I am quite happy to have a period as long as it does'nt last 20 then 28 days solid. Extra provera tabs did nothing and stopping all tabs resulted in me going back to normal. No ridiculous bleeding, in 2 weeks flat.  i have a nexplanon implant now and hope for better with this. If not I will, against my preferences, ask to try  the mirena coil that all friends my age swear by. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.