I stepped on a rusty nail. Do I need a tetanus boost?

Posted , 2 users are following.

It happened few hours ago. The nail was small, but rusty and very sharp. It inflicted only a tiny puncture which is barely noticeable now. What concerns me is the fact that there were few drops of blood coming out of it. I can still feel the pain, but it's very mild now. I'm 28 now and I received the last tetanus vaccine almost exactly 10 years ago (December 2008). I've already seen a doctor and he told me that he didn't think I needed a boost since the wound was very small. He says that he doesn't think I should be concerned over it, but that he would give me vaccine not because of this incident, but rather as part of a routine since I haven't had it in 10 years if I wanted to. Can you give me some advise? Does the size of the puncture really means that you are safe from infection?

Thank you guys

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.