I still have a hole and pain 4 months after marsupialization

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a bartholin's cyst (which was very deep in the gland) removed by marsupialization 4 months ago but I still have a large hole where they performed the surgery and I'm getting an aching pain, simliar to when you have a cyst forming, in the area. The pain isn't everyday but I seem to get whiteish discharge every couple of days. 

I have no idea what's going on. The 5 prevous marsupializations I had healed up within 2/3 weeks and I wasn't left with any pain or holes, yet this time seems to be going wrong. The stitches have completely gone, so I don't know how the hole will close up and I'm really worried about the pain.

I know it sounds stupid but having a massive hole down below is getting me down as it just looks ugly. Whenever the pain starts I'm completely paranoid that I'm getting another cyst and spend most ages checking with a mirror that there's nothing there.

I'd really appriciate any help or advice from you lovely ladies x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hello poppy hope you feel better .i know from experience that it is first awful and painful . second that the pain can last a lot and be more intense if you think about it. a very big part of the pain is psychological but i myself dont know how to handle it .did you have 5 surgeries or drainage ? i had a lot of discarge when i was most worried and frightened did get much better with time . wish u luck ! 
    • Posted

I 5 surgeries but all of the incisions healed up really quickly and I wasn't left with any holes or discharge. I just really want this to go away now, I've had 11 bartholin's cysts in the space of 9 years and it's becoming unbearable.
  • Posted

Hi poppy, I have had 1 bartholins abscess in February . I haven't had surgery but had a biopsy taken. I had a biopsy as I had what I know now to be granular tissue which looks like a pice of skin attached near where the abcess  area was. Behind that there is what I can only say looks like a whole, or tunnel be hind the thing I explained previous. It's sore most of the time and bleeds from time to time,

the point I'm getting to is the whole. Although I think it's separate as its underneath the granular tissue it might be of the same origin. When I googled it, it explained it grows over the top of a healing area because the underneath hasn't healed. So I am wondering is my whole and possible yours an area that still needs to heal from inside out. This is what I hope is happening. When I've asked others about this before I didn't seem get a response to the whole description.  If yours is the start of granular tissue or the whole is part of it, what I've read which is successfull is silver nitrate treatment. The other to me seems pointless the tissue is removed which then results in more scar tissue which is what granular tissue is.

the other thing I have thought is it a whole which the infection has left?  Like you I'm looking in the mirror every five minutes. I haven't got a problem going to see the gyne I just feel really embarrassed with the doctors at my surgery as when I explain what's going on they look at me blank.

i hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

It does seem like a whole/tunnel. The surgical incision was really large and it seems like the whole has only closed up to a certain point and then stopped. I've tried looking online but there's no real answer and I'm struggling to get a doctors appointment. 

I hope you feel better soon too.

• Posted

It sounds a bit like me after my first operation, but it was more like a month, rather than 4 months. My stitches dissolved before the hole closed up, which worried me, but slowly and surely it did close up. I hope it heals soon and that you get to see a doctor. 
  • Posted

Hello

I had the same surgery 4 weeks ago and I still have a hole as well! I am not in pain but it still does not feel right. Has the hole closed yet?

• Posted

I also had this surgery 4 weeks ago and have been left with a very noticeable hole. I've had it done three times previously and after a few weeks there was no visible hole. The only difference is previously I had it done on the NHS and this time it was privately.

The doctor who performed the op is saying the idea is to leave a hole, but if he'd explained to me I'd be left with a hole like this, I would never have opted for surgery.

Has anyone else been left with a hole like this that has eventually healed up?

• Posted

I had this surgery in 2017. I have a huge hole. I hate it so much. I wonder if I can have surgery to have it made smaller, because I may have been abstinent for the past years, but I don't see myself ever being able to have sex again without something extremely painful happening (you probably get what I am talking about without me writing it out).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.