I still have shingles had about 6months in the head no pain just inching all the time

Posted , 4 users are following.

the shingles on my head drives me mad itching all the time does anybody know what to put on ,tried all the stuff from the doctors 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've been told that oatmeal baths, (a handful of fine oatmeal) in the bathwater soothes well. Also Calamine lotion. Lidocaine gel or cream and patches which you may have to ask a doctor for. Not sure if they're prescription only. Pharmacy would know. I've now started using a shamppo called 'Ceanel'  which is used for eczema and psoriasis but I find it helps soothe itchy scalp too! Hope this helps you. rolleyes

• Posted

I think this is the after effects as the shingles would not last for 6 months, I have the same problem and was diagnosed 12 weeks ago, I had it in my head, forehead and eye, The itching has stopped now in my head but I still have awful itching on my forehead and eye, I use Lanacane on my forehead which is good. I used to soak my head in cold water and leave a towel wrapped around it for a while, and I think Calamine lotion is soothing too.Drs don't really seem to help much in these circumstances, I hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Hi Jane. I've recovered from the shingles, it was last year but keep getting PHN or post herpetic neuralgia. Docs don't always mention this possibility but loads of people on this forum seem to have it, some for life unfortunately. I still have the tingling where the rash was and itchy scalp and just feeling a bit off colour at the same time. I stick my head under the shower head until I feel cooler and less itchy! rolleyes

• Posted

My dr told me all about PHN and said it's unfortunate to get it, he wasn't kidding!! Every morning as soon as i wake up my eye itches like crazy, and I just can't help rubbing it but then it just goes on and on!! My eye has been pinkish for over 2 weeks despite eye drops regularly, I think it just takes time, too long.......!!

• Posted

I find Optrex for itchy eyes helps. It's for hayfever etc but does soothe for a short time and you an keep using it several times if necessary. Hope you soon feel better.

• Posted

Thank you, that is a goof idea but at the moment i have 3 different types of eye drops from the hospital,so i'd better not add another, but normally I would use optrex, The eye wash is nice too.

• Posted

I really sympathise with you as I have been going mad with the itching too.  I have been suffering from the shingles since May last year and, if anything, the itching is worse.  The skin on my back is beginning to look and feel like a rhinocerous' skin from the constant scratching, however hard I try not to touch it.  The one thing I found that helped a little was lidocaine cream which I used for months, but I have paid heavily for that, as it finally disturbed my heart rhythm and I had to have a pacemaker implanted. Now I have the pacemaker which has its own issues PLUS the constant itching so I feel very trapped.  I wish I could suggest something that would help but my main aim is to wish you well and warn everyone of the possible risks of overuse of lidocaine.( the patient leaflet does contain a warning, which I disregarded, to my cost) Let us hope that we will find a solution while we are still sane!

• Posted

I am sorry for you it's awful the itching gets worse I can't sleep a night I have to were gloves to stop me tearing at my head.jean

• Posted

I'm so sorry for you Pamela, it's easy for the dr and friends to say "Don't touch it!" but they have no idea how bad the itching can be, no doubt it makes it worse when you scratch it but if you don't it just carries on itching, I have it in my eye socket and forehead, Hope it eases up soon!

• Posted

Hi to Jean and Jane, thank you for your kind thoughts.  We are really companions in misery, along with so many others.  I am sure that having the itching in the head or the eye must be even worse if possible than on the torso, as those areas are so much more sensitive and vulnerable in the normal way.  I can only wish you some relief.  Sleep seems to be the only way of escaping if only one could achieve it.  I find that I do manage to fall asleep for an hour or two, when I am really exhausted, but the itching ineviitably wakes me up and the torture begins again. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through. Let's hope for a miracle, and soon!

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

Luckily i do sleep ok once I am asleep, but sometimes it's hard to drop off, I don't wake up with itching but as soon as I wake in the morning it starts, My eye sometimes doesn't look tooi bad, less pink, but rubbing it can only kake it worse, The skin around the eyer is the most sensitive and shows, so I really must try not to rub it as I will end up with saggy skin one side!!

• Posted

I to feel exhausted the thing that gives me a little relief is Neem Oil u get it from Amason but the smell is horrendous 
    • Posted

I used that too, yes it does smell pretty awful but worked for awhile. Moisteriser might help but not one which is perfumed, that makes itching worse.
    • Posted

Lanacane is good, but can't be used on eyelids, and it's there that my eye itches in the socket  just above the eye, I bought some eye cream from M and S, with no fragrance but even that stings if my eyelid is already sore! I think I will get some ordinary vaseline!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.