I stopped ESA.....what to do now?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello,can anyone offer advice please.

I have chronic pain ,arthritis,severe depression and anxiety.

I was upto about 2 months ago claiming ESA,i hadn't been claiming for long about 6 weeks i believe,along with housing benefit.

Anyway i had a severe attack of anxiety and it caused me,against my wifes and families wishes,to contact the ESA and HB people and stop my claim.I told them i wanted to go back to work.I worked self employed as a decorative sign writer.

However,i now know i have made a terrible mistake.I just cannot work enough and regulary enough to earn an income.The whole process of working is crippling me,i was warned about these effects because of my condition by the chronic pain management team and mental health unit.My life mentally is back to near suicidal thoughts again,i tried once before and couldn't even get that right.I have let everyone down,all those people both family and medical teams who were making my life more bearable,i have let them all down.

Now though i think i have a problem,because other than the doctors and future referalls,i have stopped seeing the pain management and psychologists,i also told them i wasn't attending anymore,so they signed me off.Oh dear what have i done,all this was really because of a severe anxiety attack that i didn't want to tell anyone about.

Now i have no income at all,the kids are helping me and the wife financially,but i just really need to find out will i be able to reapply for ESA,i wasn't assessed before.

Housing benefit should be ok,but i need financial and medical help again.


0 likes, 5 replies


5 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi danworg

    We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

    If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

    Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

    If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

    Kindest regards


  • Posted

    Hi, Danworg

    Following on from our previous message, we notice that you say you've been discharged from the pain management team and the psychologists. I would strongly recommend that you go back to your GP and tell them about the problems you've been having and why you ended up being discharged. You clearly need ongoing support for your pain as well as your mental distress, and your GP will be able to refer you back to the pain management team to get this.

    I know it feels as if you've made a terrible mistake, but your GP will be able to help you to put this right. In the meantime, as we said before, please do have a look at our patient information leaflet which gives lots of information on how you can get help if you're experiencing thoughts of self harm.

    Kind regards


    Many thanks!

  • Posted

    Hi Dan,

    I'm sorry to hear this. Yes of course you would be able to claim ESA assessment phase again. You'll need a fit/sick note from your GP. The only problem is that you could well be asked to claim the new style ESA which is part of Universal credit. This depends what is in your area. If this is the case then the time waiting to recieve any money is 6 weeks. Apply like you did before and if you're in a Universal credit area they'll tell you. Also if you're eventually put into the WRAG then with the changes in April of this year you would no longer recieve the extra money. As for medical help then i'd advice you seeing your GP. Hope this helps.

  • Posted

    Thanks everyone for the advice.

    I don't believe our area is yet in this Universal Credit Stuff.

    Anyway i will have to do as i did last time.

    I just haven't got the energy anymore,i feel so much pressure and sometimes i am literally sick with worry.

    I really do wish i wasn't here anymore,selfish apparently so people tell me,but nevertheless if things get anymore harder i maybe able to do it this time.



  • Posted

    Hiya, I did something similar and learned today that there is an easy reapplication thing within 12 weeks of stopping. Because we're not the only ones who do this obviously. Just call up the new claims number. 08000556688 I also learned that my anxiety and low mood lifts dramatically when I remember to drink water. I have a 750ml bottle I aim to drink and refill 2-3 times a day. Maybe you already drink plenty but just wanted to pass on the realisation I had ( this is after training in naturopathy..of all the cures, water works for so many things.) Good luck X and don't berate yourself wink


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up