I stopped taking my thyroid med (levothyroxine), but I'm worried.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Stopped taking my levothyroxine & i feel good. But now i feel worried that I might be doing myself harm. I am on the lowest strenth 0.25mcg. I have been on this for 2 years. But I never had any symptoms to start. My original blood work when I started  was TSH 5.39 & 

Free T4 1.07. Doctor never even checked Free T3. I hesitated to take it back then but she told me I need to start taking it. Now I have an appt. & I have to tell her I stopped, what do you think I should do?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Why were you put on Levo if you didn't have any symptoms? You know your body better than anyone else in the world - even the best medical doctor. All they can ever do is advise you, and try things which might work according to medical evidence. If you feel better having stopped the Levo, then be honest and tell the doctor. Its important that you tell them in what way you feel better, as opposed to how you feel when on Levo. This information will help them make better decisions about your health, along with any bloodwork they do. Also, when the doctor told you to start taking it despite your hesitation, did she explain exactly why you had to and how it would help? Would it help if you took someone with you to your appointment? I'm getting the impression that you don't feel very comfortable asking questions about things you are not sure about, and perhaps feel that you don't even have the right to ask questions at all. This is perfectly normal, by the way - doctors are here to help us, but they aren't that great at helping us understand why suddenly we *have* to take all this stuff.....especially when it involves long medical names and numbers regarding our bloodwork. They are godlike in some ways because we go there when we are sick, they give us stuff to make us better, and lo & behold, we DO feel better. So yeah, long story short.....tell her you have stopped, tell her how you feel better, and if she gives you anything in the future make sure you know exactly what it does and why you need it. Hope this helps - sorry it was longwinded! smile

• Posted

Why were you put on Levo if you didn't have any symptoms? You know your body better than anyone else in the world - even the best medical doctor. All they can ever do is advise you, and try things which might work according to medical evidence. If you feel better having stopped the Levo, then be honest and tell the doctor. Its important that you tell them in what way you feel better, as opposed to how you feel when on Levo. This information will help them make better decisions about your health, along with any bloodwork they do. Also, when the doctor told you to start taking it despite your hesitation, did she explain exactly why you had to and how it would help? Would it help if you took someone with you to your appointment? I'm getting the impression that you don't feel very comfortable asking questions about things you are not sure about, and perhaps feel that you don't even have the right to ask questions at all. This is perfectly normal, by the way - doctors are here to help us, but they aren't that great at helping us understand why suddenly we *have* to take all this stuff.....especially when it involves long medical names and numbers regarding our bloodwork. They are godlike in some ways because we go there when we are sick, they give us stuff to make us better, and lo & behold, we DO feel better. So yeah, long story short.....tell her you have stopped, tell her how you feel better, and if she gives you anything in the future make sure you know exactly what it does and why you need it. Hope this helps - sorry it was longwinded! smile

• Posted

Well, went to Doctor today. Told her I went off the levothyroxine, she didn't seem upset. I told her that I felt good & she wanted to know If i felt tired alot.  I told her no & I never felt tired before I went on the med. She ordered more blood work & said we will go from there, & admitted I was on a low dose anyway.....But if after the blood work she wants me back on the med, I will see an endocrynologist 1st. Will keep you updated, thanks

• Posted

BTW my blood pressure was 110/70. The best its been in a long while wink
  • Posted

Hi Browneyes. I have severe thyroid disease. My feeling from reading many posts here and from talking to many people who taking thyroid meds is this: the people who are asymptomatic and are on the lowest dose never really know if it works or not. The people who have severe thyroid symptoms caused by advanced thyroid disease often cannot tolerate the side effects at doses high enough to be effective. 

If your thyroid disease is not advanced, you have a good chance of controlling with diet, supplements and lifestyle changes. 

If that isn't enough, please take a look at the side effects of the thyroid medication you're on. Thyroid medication can cause a lot of health problems, and in fact, thyroid medication can cause thyroid disease. 

I found the medication was really very detrimental for me. So even with advanced thyroid disease, I am much better off the meds than on. 

• Posted

I am curious, while you were on the 25 Synthroid did you have any labs done to see if you TSH came down and free t3 went up?

And did you get back your latest labwork after stopping the Synthroid?

• Posted

When I first wen on med, in July of 2015, unfortunately she never checked t3 free.  Pharmacist where I worked said that was odd.  He is the person who helped me look up some information. Can"t find blood work in between. Sept. 2016 still never checked t3 free. June of 2017 my gyno. checked it & TSH 1.21, T4 free 0.87 & T3 free 2.08.  Very last blood work, again she did not check T3 free. I did not catch this until I left her office. But blood work was TSH 1.56 & T4 free 0.81. Both within normal range & I was off med for 2 weeks.  I am going to wait & see what happens, If it turns out I have symptoms I will just see an endocrinologist. But so far so good. Like I said I never had symptoms to start. I think I need to change primary care doctors. to one I can trust.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.